Tetra Safestart sell by date

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners, Additives and Supplements' started by 7swans, Dec 24, 2012.

1. 7swans

7swans New Member Member

I had great success with this stuff in my 10g tank so I bought more today, one bottle for myself and one for a gift. We were rushed doing last minute shopping and I just grabbed the only two bottles on the shelf. The sell by date is 12/2012. Should I be worried that it won't work? I'm not sure how long it will be before it goes in the tank. We live pretty far from the Petsmart that sells it so I'm kicking myself. :(

2. w

wayne834 Valued Member Member

Just try,I recently(under a week ago) added 2 bottles due to expire in Jan,

my amm is 0 from 4ppm within 24 hrs
    nitrites falling to 2ppm

all in 5 days, though I added 3x the recommended dose;p

I`d try it,though I`m fishless,im adding it with 9% ammonia

3. OP
    OP
    7swans

7swans New Member Member

Alright, I added it. I'm testing twice daily so I'll keep a close eyes on things. Thanks!

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

5. OP
    OP
    7swans

7swans New Member Member

Thanks, Ken! I had read that, but I'm worried about toxic levels since I've got 3 platys in the (36g) tank. I did a fishless cycle in the other tank and the TSS helped out when the cycle stalled, and my readings have been stable since. Since I'm doing fish-in this time, do I just watch for signs of stress? I'll go read the FAQ again but I don't remember seeing any specific info about that.

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

It wouldn't hurt to test for Ammonia from time to time and make sure it doesn't go over 4.0. If it goes over 4.0 then the level may be too high and the TSS may not work. Many members have had good success with TSS, some have not. Usually this step is for people using pure ammonia to make sure they do not over dose. Cycling with 3 Platy's probably will not cause an issue.

If you see clamped fins, very red gills, then you may have reason for concern.

Ken

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with Ken, I have done the fish in with safe start, had about 10-15 Serpae tetras in my 75 at the time and they never showed any signs of stress. In fact they actually started looking better than when I brought them home from the day they went in the tank. That tank is now over 18 months old and actually produces some of the best seeding filter pads of my tanks.

8. OP
    OP
    7swans

7swans New Member Member

Thanks for the info! One of the fish wasn't looking so hot when she got home from the store, but within a few hours she seemed to be doing fine (my husband added Stability the first day because the LFS didn't have TSS, but I researched it and wasn't impressed so I figured it would be safer to add the TSS anyway). There's a very nice store in the city that's having a huge boxing day sale tomorrow - I'm thinking that I might start up a quarantine tank with the other bottle which is near expiry, and give one my fresher bottles to my niece instead. I'm not sure if two weeks in a smaller quarantine tank would be too long, but I could get the cories I've been eyeing for a bit and add them to my 36g once the cycle's done...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice