Tetra Safestart Plus - Whole Bottle Response From Tetra

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by DorkLordWill, Aug 4, 2017.

1. D

DorkLordWill New Member Member

Hello all,

I was doing a bit of research into Tetra's SafeStart plus. I ran across two schools, one saying that you must add the whole bottle at once and another saying you could add part of the bottle and save the rest to add with water changes while cycling your tank.

I decided to go directly to the source.

my email:

"Hello, I purchased the large bottle (250
    ml) of safestart plus for a 37g tank. Can
    I add only 40% of the bottle to begin
    cycling the uncycled tank and then add
    smaller amount with subsequent water
    changes or does the whole bottle need
    to be used at once for cycling?"

Tetra's response:

"Hello Will,

Thank you for contacting us. Yes, that is fine to
    add 40% now and the rest during water
    changes.

Thanks,

XXXXX XXXXXXXX | Consumer Relations

Spectrum Brands - Pet Home and Garden
    Division"

I hope this is helpful for some. (I X'd out the rep's name for her privacy)

Cheers

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

I'd add the entire bottle, personally. You want all the available bacteria strains to help cycle your tank. There would be no point in saving some for later for water changes because after you're cycled, there is aleady enough of a bacteria colony in your media/hard surfaces of the tank.

3. c

chrish828 Valued Member Member

You can't rely overdose on bacteria, so I would also just add it all in. I would think that adding it all would just speed up the process since there are now more bacteria in your tank.

4. S

Sam1859 New Member Member

Add the whole bottle. I made the mistake of adding half before. Just use other water conditioners for water change.

5. Manuel1223

Manuel1223 Valued Member Member

So i have a question i was advised by a member to add tetra safe start AND prime. So i did after my water change. After research ive found out that was a bad idea. What should i do now? Im cycling my tank with a few fish in. Running a 30 gal right now.

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Do you have your own thread about your situation? I'm sure you'll get more responses that way and we wouldn't be hijacking the OP's thread. :)

7. OP
    OP
    D

DorkLordWill New Member Member

Sorry for not saying sooner. Please feel free to hijack away! My purpose was just to share the response from the company that makes the product. Thanks for looking out though :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice