Tetra Safestart Plus and treatment for ich.

JPH1970

The day after starting my aquarium with Tetra Safestart plus with some fish, I noticed ich on one of the danios, glofish.

I have the temp set at 86 and from what I read, I should leave it at that for 2 weeks.

I'm considering using aquarium salt to treat for ich as well but the problem is that because of TSS, I can't do water changes for 2 weeks. And I can't leave the aquarium-salted tank go for more than 5 days without doing a water change.

Thoughts?

Betta'sAnonymous

The temperature raise alone should be enough.

JPH1970

Betta'sAnonymous said:
The temperature raise alone should be enough.
I did a bit more looking and decided on a low salt level treatment

JPH1970

mattgirl said:
If you've not already read it Aquarist has posted some good info about treating ich with heat alone. ICH (ICK) Life Cycle and Natural Treatment | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 153206 Sadly he hasn't been seen here in quite a while but the info is good.
I've read that and countless other articles regarding ich treatments and to be quite honest, I gave myself a headache over all of it and laid awake for a good bit of last night I just decided on low dose salt (1 tbs per 3 gallons of water) and elevated heat. And I just bought an airpump with two stones

I definitely didn't want any medication. Too many to choose from. The last time I treated for ich, the silicone was stained blue and I hated it

The only fish that shows ich spots actually is swimming normally, not brushing up against gravel and decor, and I swear the white spots are decreasing, unless I'm imagining it.

JPH1970

JPH1970 said:
I've read that and countless other articles regarding ich treatments and to be quite honest, I gave myself a headache over all of it and laid awake for a good bit of last night I just decided on low dose salt (1 tbs per 3 gallons of water) and elevated heat. And I just bought an airpump with two stones

I definitely didn't want any medication. Too many to choose from. The last time I treated for ich, the silicone was stained blue and I hated it

The only fish that shows ich spots actually is swimming normally, not brushing up against gravel and decor, and I swear the white spots are decreasing, unless I'm imagining it.
With the air pump and stones in the tank, I'm wondering if I can raise the level of water. I lowered it so that the filter's output would cause splashing

mattgirl

JPH1970 said:
With the air pump and stones in the tank, I'm wondering if I can raise the level of water. I lowered it so that the filter's output would cause splashing
You should be able to do so. The more water the better so yes, fill it up.

JPH1970

mattgirl said:
Thanks

JPH1970

JPH1970 said:
There's a definite improvement on the danio that has visible signs of ich. It doesn't have as many spots as it did on the day before I noticed it and started treating.

So far, the other fish seem fine

JPH1970

mattgirl said:
The danio that has visible spots of ich is definitely improving. I noticed the spots are nearly gone

JPH1970

mattgirl said:
Question....

How long should I keep the heat elevated? Many articles say 2 weeks but there are some that say not that long.

There's so much conflicting info out there.

I treated with salt as well.

Articles say to do water changes and gravel vacuums often during ich treatment often but since I'm using TSS Plus, I can't do water changes

Latest threads

Top Bottom