Tetra SafeStart Cycling Questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jackdaw, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Jackdaw

JackdawNew MemberMember

Hello, everyone. So it's been over 48 hours since I added Tetra Safestart Plus to my 5 gallon betta tank. I read the Q&A and followed the instructions to a T. I waited 24 hours after conditioning the water, added TSS and my betta. I tested my water today at the pet store (it's a liquid test not a strip). My ammonia was at 2.0 and Nitrites were at .25 I believe. I should have taken a picture of the test, now that I think about it...

My betta is swimming around and acting normal. He doesn't appear to be stressed. Will he be okay or should I do a partial water change to bring the ammonia down some? Should I wait and retest the water again to see if the ammonia goes down? I love my betta and don't want to see him hurt. :(

I have a moss ball and a lucky bamboo in the tank and a gravel bottom. My filter is a Tetra Whisper 10i that's been baffled via water bottle method to slow the current. I chose to do the Tetra SafeStart Cycling because he was in a bowl before this and I wanted him out of it ASAP.

2. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to the forum :)

If your betta is acting fine, I wouldn't worry. Tetra says not to test for the 2 weeks because it might give you some weird results. Don't do any water changes either or you will cause TSS+ to fail.

Do you have a liquid test kit of your own? If not, I would get one and then test your water source to see if you have any ammonia, nitrite or nitrates.

3. OP
    OP
    Jackdaw

JackdawNew MemberMember

Phew! Thank you for replying. He's acting completely fine, so I'll avoid touching the tank unless he begins acting stressed.

I will be ordering a test kit as soon as I can (probably once I get paid) but until then, my local pet store uses the liquid test kit and it's less than two miles from my house. I'll get my water source tested. :)

4. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Excellent! You're on the right track. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice