Tetra Safestart Cycle Time

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Snailerator, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Snailerator

SnaileratorValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +59
    If I add tetra safe start to a 10 gal and wait a week will that achieve a full cycle?

Thanks!

2. RobinIsACattto

RobinIsACatttoValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +128
    Experience:
    Just started
    Unfortunately, there's a lot more to the Nitrogen Cycle than just adding in some liquid from a bottle.
    I'd highly recommend checking out the article The Nitrogen Cycle on here and maybe go to the sub forum(s) on the fish(es) you're looking into getting, since those usually have a caresheet pinned to the top.

TL;DR: No, TSS will not cycle your tank in a week :( In fact, you probably can't cycle a tank in a week anyhow, since it usually takes at least a month from what I've collected, even with additives.

3. Zigi Zig

Zigi ZigWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +468
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello
    Unfortunately NO. Safestart only accelerates the establishment of the bio-filter in newly set-up and reduces dangerous ammonia and nitrite what you need to complete the cycle. It also been used after a water change, when adding new fish or after medicating.

4. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,201
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Tetra SafeStart is basically a bottle of the bacteria that will occur naturally in your filter over time when ammonia is present in the water. Ammonia is actually the food source for the ammonia converting bacteria. So in order for TSS to work, you need to have an ammonia source. Every time I've used TSS I used fish as my ammonia source. Some people do not like to use fish to cycle with TSS and will add pure ammonia to the tank to simulate the ammonia the fish would produce.

Here's how to use TSS if you want to do a fish-in cycle
    1) Fill tank with dechlorinated water.
    2) Wait a minimum of 24 hours. (Using TSS less than 24 hours after a water conditioner has been used can cause the TSS to fail)
    3) Add an entire, well shaken, appropriate size bottle of TSS.
    4) Add a few small fish. (I believe Tetra recommend 1" of fish per 10 gallons)
    5) Do nothing for the next 14 days other than lightly feeding your fish. No water changes, no adding chemical...nothing.
    6) On day 14 after adding TSS test your water. If all worked correctly, you'll be cycled.

Best of luck!

5. OP
    OP
    Snailerator

SnaileratorValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +59
    OK. I know about cycling ai was just wondering about tss. I have some feeder goldfish I'll use.

6. Rhobbs521

Rhobbs521Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +38
    I boosted my cycle with fritz turbo start. About 30 hours later the ammonia was gone. It took about 7 more says for nitrites to go away. Fritz is some pretty good stuff but you have to get it from a trusted source. If it’s not refrigerated the entire time including the ride home it’ll be useless. Worth a look into if you’re trying to accelerate your cycle

Become a Fishlore Member