OK. I know about cycling aI was just wondering about tss. I have some feeder goldfish I'll use.jdhef said:Tetra SafeStart is basically a bottle of the bacteria that will occur naturally in your filter over time when ammonia is present in the water. Ammonia is actually the food source for the ammonia converting bacteria. So in order for TSS to work, you need to have an ammonia source. Every time I've used TSS I used fish as my ammonia source. Some people do not like to use fish to cycle with TSS and will add pure ammonia to the tank to simulate the ammonia the fish would produce.
Here's how to use TSS if you want to do a fish-in cycle
1) Fill tank with dechlorinated water.
2) Wait a minimum of 24 hours. (Using TSS less than 24 hours after a water conditioner has been used can cause the TSS to fail)
3) Add an entire, well shaken, appropriate size bottle of TSS.
4) Add a few small fish. (I believe Tetra recommend 1" of fish per 10 gallons)
5) Do nothing for the next 14 days other than lightly feeding your fish. No water changes, no adding chemical...nothing.
6) On day 14 after adding TSS test your water. If all worked correctly, you'll be cycled.
Best of luck!