Tetra Safestart And Fishless Cycling

Alora Clark

I have a new 20 gallon aquarium that I have started, fishless, I added dr Tim’s ammonia and my tank is at 4ppm for ammonia. I added SafeStart 24 hours ago and am wondering if anybody else has done this with good results. My water is still at 4ppm, I’m sure it takes longer than 24 hours. The water conditioner I used is tetra Aquasafe plus, tank has been running since the 18th. Just curious on your guys opinions! Thank-you!

-amw

Prest12

The point of tetra safestart (TSS) is that you can add fish to your tank immediately. Trying to use ammonia with it can get a little confusing. Did you get the ammonia up to 4ppm before adding the TSS? I’m pretty sure levels that high are harmful to the bacteria in the TSS. Also, did you add the conditioner at the same time as the TSS. Conditioners can be bad for it too. I think the company says to wait a few days before testing. I will post a link to another thread as soon as I can find it.

EDIT: here’s the link
Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

Alora Clark

yes I added ammonia prior to the tss+and did as instructed on the bottle, 4 drops per gallon so 80 drops, the water conditioner was added on the 18th, same day as aquarium set up and the addition of the ammonia.

By-tor

I tried TSS+ with my fishless cycle. I don't think it did anything. I added it thinking it would help deplete the nitrites. At the time I added it, nitrites were around 2 or 5. Maybe the high nitrites had a negative effect on the TSS.
I have been trying to get my tank cycled since September 6. Numerous water changes and the nitrites seem to just bounce right back up.
I did a 90% water change 2 days ago and that got nitrites down to about 0.5 ppm. I was thinking about going ahead and getting some fish and more TSS. This time I will put the TSS in while the fish are getting acclimated.
I just wish one day when I test nitrites I will see blue!

Cheers!

Eric

Prest12

Since the conditioner was added a few days before, that can’t be the problem. I would give you some suggestions, but for whatever reason, my brain has decided to be useless. For now, I would just keep an eye on it to see if anything else happens. I won’t be of much help until my brain starts functioning again.

Oh, I doubt this is your problem but what is your ph?

Alora Clark

I tried TSS+ with my fishless cycle. I don't think it did anything. I added it thinking it would help deplete the nitrites. At the time I added it, nitrites were around 2 or 5. Maybe the high nitrites had a negative effect on the TSS.
I have been trying to get my tank cycled since September 6. Numerous water changes and the nitrites seem to just bounce right back up.
I did a 90% water change 2 days ago and that got nitrites down to about 0.5 ppm. I was thinking about going ahead and getting some fish and more TSS. This time I will put the TSS in while the fish are getting acclimated.
I just wish one day when I test nitrites I will see blue!

Cheers!

Eric
Thank-you for your feedback! It’s only been 24hours since I added it but every individual answer is highly appreciated!

-amc

Alora Clark

Since the conditioner was added a few days before, that can’t be the problem. I would give you some suggestions, but for whatever reason, my brain has decided to be useless. For now, I would just keep an eye on it to see if anything else happens. I won’t be of much help until my brain starts functioning again.
Oh, I doubt this is your problem but what is your ph?
My ph straight out of tap is 8.8 but after being in tank for awhile and airating out a bit it’s dropped to 8.0-8.2 ph

Prest12

Definitely not that then. The reason I asked is because a ph of around 6.0 can cause problems with a cycle.

Wraithen

The tss+ itself can sometimes skew test results. Ive had a few dud bottles in the past for whatever reason. Once it starts working it will clear the ammonia pretty quickly. Give it 2 more days and test again.

Prest12

The tss+ itself can sometimes skew test results. Ive had a few dud bottles in the past for whatever reason. Once it starts working it will clear the ammonia pretty quickly. Give it 2 more days and test again.

Thank you. Forgot to mention that.

Roger7986

I have had cycling success adding "live" lava rocks (or just porous rocks) into the aquarium and adding beneficial bacteria. Many beneficial bacteria products out there.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Connorho
Replies
Views
BettaLove2021
Replies
Views
imba
Replies
Views