Tetra Safe Start

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by matt 63, Apr 22, 2018.

1. matt 63

matt 63Valued MemberMember

If my ammonia is between 1.0 and 2.0 will it kill the tetra safe start, or do I need to lower it more before adding it? Way to expensive to be wasting it

2. Tokie Wartooth

Tokie WartoothNew MemberMember

If it's under 2 you should be fine

3. OP
    OP
    matt 63

Thanks

4. varmintWell Known MemberMember

I would do a 50% water change then use the TSS+.

5. OP
    OP
    matt 63

Ok do I need to wait 24 hours after water change? I'm using API tap water conditioner for water change

6. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

I checked your profile and according to it you have a 54 gallon cichlid tank. Is this the one you are trying to cycle now or are you trying to cycle another one?

I ask because if you have an already cycled tank you could use media from it to cycle a new one and won't have to go through the TSS process.

7. OP
    OP
    matt 63

I'm tr
    I'm trying to recycle the 54 gallon tank, I do have a 10 gallon tank that is cycled tho. Just want to cycle it the quickest way so I can finish stocking the tank

8. mattgirl

I've personally never used a bottled bacteria but I know some folks have had success with it. In my experience the quickest most successful way to cycle a tank is by using media from a cycled tank. With enough of it you can instantly cycle a tank.

9. varmintWell Known MemberMember

Yep, you should wait the 24 hrs after a water change using a conditioner.

10. OP
    OP
    matt 63

Ok, the ammonia went down on its own today, so I went ahead and put the tss in. It's been more than 24 hours since i did my last water change, I don't understand how the ammonia went down on its own when I still have no nitrites tho

11. mattgirl

You say you are recycling your tank. I am not trying to be nosy but am curious.

Did you somehow totally kill your cycle or is it possible that there is still some life in there.

What makes me wonder is the fact that your ammonia went down on its own. Just because you are not seeing nitrites doesn't mean that there isn't bacteria in there already to quickly go from ammonia to nitrites to nitrates without registering the nitrites.

In other words, it isn't unusual to not see nitrites.

12. OP
    OP
    matt 63

I'm not sure if I completely killed the cycle or not. This started about a month ago when I got round worms in the tank, I started doing lots of water changes with my gravel vacuum to cut the food supply off but didn't have fish in it due to ick, then when I got ready to put fish back in the tank , the filter crashed so had to get a new one, then the ammonia level was off the charts, till a few days ago I started doing 50 percent water changes daily, but today it did drop a little by itself, which gives me a little hope

13. mattgirl

Were you adding ammonia during this time? If not but it showed up with your test it is leading me to believe you still had some kind of ammonia source in there and some very healthy bacteria when all of this started and some of it is still hanging in there. I can't think of any other reason for the ammonia to have gone down.

It sounds to me like you at least didn't throw it all the way back to a brand new cycle so you have every reason to have hope. :) I wouldn't be too concerned even if I didn't see nitrites at all. It is possible that there is still enough bacteria to go almost instantly from ammonia to nitrates.

14. OP
    OP
    matt 63

I hope so lol I put new fish in when I got the new filter, that's where the ammonia coming from. I'm definitely learning patience lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice