Tetra Safe Start questions

1. MissCap Member Member

I have had my 10 gallon tank running for 2 days and have treated it with a conditioner. I got a bottle of TSS but am confused on how to use it. I plan on going to my LFS tomorrow and getting two male guppies. I will add 2-3 more after the cycle is complete.

I have read several articles but am still confused. I do know to add the whole bottle.

1. Do I put in TSS before or after I get the fish. Since it eats ammonia wouldn't I put it in after the fish?

2. How long do I need to wait until I test the water and do water changes?

3. What is the difference between TSS and TSS+? I just have the regular one. If I need the + I can pick some up tomorrow.

Any other important info I need to know about TSS?

2. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not sure if guppys are hardy enough for a fish-in cycle, but I can answer the questions about TSS.

With TSS and a fish-in cycle you want to put the TSS at the same time as the fish, or a little bit after.Then you can't do water changes for two weeks. You can test, but the readings might be a little wonky so some say not to test for two weeks too.

3. el337 Fishlore Legend Member

4. MissCap Member Member

Ok thanks. I will probably add the TSS right after I acclimate my fish. My LFS is 30 minutes away so putting it in before I go wouldn't do any good.