Tetra Safe Start - How Often?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Gar2188, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Gar2188

Gar2188 Valued Member Member

Hi all, so I'm using TSS to cycle my tank since I read people had good success with it. I'm doing a fish-in-cycle. So using this how often do I use it? Do I have to add more after the first day? Also I got some info from this thread: Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to fishlore!

You add it once at the start then leave it for 2 weeks with no water changes.

Have you started the fish in cycle?

3. Punkin

Punkin Well Known Member Member

Agree with @BottomDweller Add the whole bottle at once, after shaking the heck out of it, and recommendation is 1-2 small fish per 10 gallons of tank size.

4. OP
    OP
    Gar2188

@BottomDweller , I haven't started the fish-in cycle yet (I hope to start it tomorrow). @Punkin , The whole bottle? It says to add 5ml to each 6 litres of water, should I do that? Also thanks for the quick replies:)

5. Punkin

Hi there! Yes, I would add the whole bottle. You can't overdose that stuff. That way you can be sure you are getting plenty of the beneficial bacteria you need to help keep your fish safe when you start your cycle.

How many gallons or liters is your tank?

6. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Once you open the bottle the bacteria begin dying off, so no use in saving any part of the bottle.

7. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

If you don't already have the fish why not do a fishless cycle? Fishless cycles are often faster than fish in cycles. They also generally easier, you just have to add an ammnonia source and keep an eye on the levels. In a fish in cycle I would be constantly worrying about the fish in there. You would need to do frequent water changes to keep the fish safe. Also with tetra safe start you cannot dose Prime to protect the fish against ammonia and nitrite.

8. BluMan1914

BluMan1914 Well Known Member Member

Bottom Dweller and Punkin are correct...add the whole bottle. As Punkin mentioned...shake the mess out of it for at least 3 minutes.

9. OP
    OP
    Gar2188

It's 25 gallons/about 100 litres

10. Punkin

Ok. Mine was 20 gallons and I used the bottle size that was marked for 40 gallons. (I'm not at home, so I am not sure the ounces). I had success with it.

11. OP
    OP
    Gar2188

Mostly because I'm impatient lol. I've read an email that came direct from Tetra saying you can use Prime and other conditioners but I have to wait 24hrs after to add the Safe Start.

Hmm ok, I bought the 250ml bottle which is marked for 100 gallons. I think that's probably t excessive? I can always go and exchange it for the smaller bottle.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2017
  12. BluMan1914

You sound like me..I'm very impatient and TSS+ was exactly what I needed. Plus its so so easy to use. Also, no water changes, no water testing.

13. Punkin

That's up to you. If it were me, I would. My reasoning is if you don't use the whole bottle, you don't really know how much of the good stuff got in there to make sure your fish are safe and your tank cycles properly.

14. BluMan1914

I'm not trying to be pushy..but I strongly suggest that you use the bottle that you have, and use the whole bottle. Do you want to worry if the smaller bottle was enough, or do you want to be sure that the bigger bottle is enough? Remeber, the fish lives are in your hands, and no matter how you cycle your tank, you must give them the best chance for survival. So if that bigger bottle will give them a better chance of surviving the cycle..there should be no question on whether you should use it.

15. OP
    OP
    Gar2188

Yeah I might as well since I have it. Would it have any negative effect though? The bottle is for 300 litres my tank is only 100L

16. BluMan1914

No negative effects at all. I used a big bottle on a 5 gallon tank, without any problems. Yes...I used the whole bottle.

17. OP
    OP
    Gar2188

I guess I'll give a shot then

18. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

I agree. Use the whole big bottle. I would do a fishless cycle if you choose to use TSS. Wait 24 hours after dosing Prime then dose the TSS. Wait 14 days, and your tank should be cycled. You cannot dose Prime when cycling with TSS until the 7th day.

19. OP
    OP
    Gar2188

Hi, so here's an update on everything. I added the Tetra Safe Start. I've tested the water after about 30 mins using a liquid test kit. The results came out to either 0 or 0.1 (the colours look quite close). I'll test it again later.

20. Philippians 4:13

Philippians 4:13 Well Known Member Member

I used Safestart to cycle my 29 gallon, it depends on how big the bottle is. Mine took exactly 2 weeks to complete the cycle. What fish did you add?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice