Tetra Safe Start For Betta Bloom

klb1031

Reaction score
Hi! In using Tetra Safestart is it normal for there to be floating particles in the water & white sediment on gravel & decor? I could not used established media from other rank so went for TSS. 3.5 gallon, fish in cycle now after 48 hours empty with Prime then fish added with entire bottle of TSS.

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You really don't need the entire bottle for a tank that size. It won't hurt anything but a lot of the bacteria will die off due to lack of nutrients and maybe even cause a temporary rise in ammonia levels. I used it in my 3.5 and only used about 1/4 of it at first and then another 1/4 after gallon water changes every 3 days. The bottle says to use the whole thing for up to 20 gallons but on their website they say it's overkill on a small tank.

klb1031

Reaction score
Thank you!!!! What about the bloom cloud & white fog looking bloom on my gravel? Is that to be expected? Am I right to do no water changes for 10 days while TSS does it’s thing? I read you’re not supposed to test the water but I want to! Thank you!

Dch48

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah they say no water changes for 2 weeks but it wouldn't hurt to test the water every couple of days at least. Especially since you have fish in the tank. If some of the bacteria die, they can decompose and spike the ammonia level. If your test levels go too high, I would do a partial water change no matter what they say. The white stuff is probably excess bacteria. It forms a white goop on the bottom of the bottle and that's why they say to shake it well before using it.

I might really get flamed for this but the more I read about Prime and some of the problems it can cause when used with other things, the more certain I get that I will never use it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom