tetra questions-sexing and temp

momo9700
I wanted to know how you can tell what gender neon tetras are and what is the max temperature for them to be in? I usually have my tank at 80-81F but I think I may need to lower it because I got some neon tetras and an algae eating shrimp today.(I'm assuming that the shrimp will be OK in whatever temp the neons need)

Lucy
HI momo,
According to their profile here on FishLore, their max temp is 79F. I keep mine at 75F.

As far a sexing, from what I've read, the females belly is rounder and bigger than the male. The blue line of the male looks straighter than the female because of her shape.

momo9700
okay thanks. and will 79F be okay for my platies and algae eating shrimp too?

momo9700
and does anyone know why one of the tetras doesn't really stay with the other 4? it just kind of hangs out by itself, but it does swim with the others occasionally

Lucy
According to the profile, the platys max temp is 78F.
https://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-Platy.htm
Is there a reason you want it kept at 79F?

You didn't mention what kind of shrimp, so I couldn't look that up for you.

I have 4 neons and they are the same way. I don't think it's a problem unless he is being picked on and is hiding from the others.

momo9700
well i've heard from 2 or 3 different sources that platys temp is 78-82 or 76-80 so I wanted to get a temp that was good for what everyone says(which is 78-79) that's why I want it at 79 or 78. and I don't know what kind of shrimp it is. it just said "algae eating shrimp" at the store. I would say its a ghost shrimp but its not that transparent, or it could be a bamboo shrimp but its small. it was in the same tank as the neons at the store too.

Lucy
You might want to ask the temp question in the platy forum, I don't have them, I only looked on the fish profile link I gave you.
Someone with expience with platys will be happy to help you.

Good luck

momo9700
okay thanks, I'll try. still can't figure out what kind of shrimp it is though

Lucy
Your welcome, sorry I couldn't help more.

About the shrimp, you can probably find out here:

Post a pic or describe it....lol, I know if sats fish-ID, but I don't think there is a shrimp ID forum.

momo9700
okay. I'll try to post one tomorrow, I have to get ready for school tonight

momo9700
I think it might be a cherry shrimp, but it's kind of big to be one

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SparkyJones
Replies
Views
shaelis
Replies