Tetra Opening/closing Mouth?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by glassescat, Nov 21, 2018.

1. glassescat

glassescatValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have a school of black neon tetras that have been thriving for about a little over a month. I just now noticed one of them opening and closing their mouth, and I'm worried since I had one tetra do that and he ended up dying. Except the one that died behaved differently, he barely swam or ate, while the one opening it's mouth now is behaving normally.

It can't be because of oxygen since I have an airstone going. It also can't be the water parameters since all the levels are normal and I do a water change every week. So I can't think of what could possibly be wrong...maybe he just had a spat with one of his tankmates and is stressed? The other tetras are perfectly normal...

2. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Did you feed the tank recently? Fish will often take a bite of food that is too large to swallow, then try to spit it back out (by opening and closing their mouths, often leaving it open longer than closed, which is how you can differentiate from other signs of ailment). If its a particularly large piece of food or just lodged in there it can tank a while for them to cough it up (think of it like a dog with a chicken bone).

3. OP
    OP
    glassescat

Ratings:
    +30
    Experience:
    Just started
    I feed them once a day whenever I wake up. I fed them today and he showed no interest in eating, but he's still swimming around and schooling with the others like normal. I guess all I can do is keep an eye on him.

4. OP
    OP
    glassescat

Ratings:
    +30
    Experience:
    Just started
    I just noticed something...it looks like something took a tiny chunk from his underbelly (possibly from a fight or something in the tank, though I can't say what...) and he's probably just a little stressed out from that and just needs a little time to heal up. He's pretty normal other than that.

Become a Fishlore Member