Tetra mating?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
Every morning after I turn on the lights for the tank, my black neons are all chasing this really big one, I have found out is a female, and the others, all males that I can figure out, chase her around this binch of plants in the corner and when any other fish gets close, the 'male' chases them off. My question is, are my black neons trying to spawn? If somebody has already asked this with a different title(couldn't find it on the search), just lead me in the right direction.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think with the neons, like a lot of fish, a 2 females to 1 male ratio is needed to keep the females from getting too much attention from the males.

OP
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am aware of that, but the question is, are they trying to spawn? I have heard that either at the early daylight or at dusk they wil spread the eggs.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
did you find this article? I don't think they're trying to spawn, but i'm not real up on the tetras mating habits and could be wrong. maybe the way to tell is if you would be able to separate the female and the male that chases off other fish from the other fish?

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the article made it sound like the male will 'dance' for the female.. maybe the interested male isn't being allowed to go thru with it due to the other fish and would do better with the pair seperated.. and if they just continue like in the tank with the others, then it wouldn't seem to be mating behaviour.

i'm not sure, hopefully a tetra owner experienced in their mating behaviour can weigh in on this as i'm a real novice with tetras for sure.

OP
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All the books I have read, describe it as a mating ritual so that is why I asked. I will probably see if I can set up the empty 10 gallon that is outside and use it to see if they spawn, if so, I have another fish species to hatch and raise.
Tom

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tom said:
All the books I have read, describe it as a mating ritual so that is why I asked. I will probably see if I can set up the empty 10 gallon that is outside and use it to see if they spawn, if so, I have another fish species to hatch and raise.
Tom
cool, sounds like you'll be posting pics of tiny little tetras before too long

VidW

Reaction score
that sounds like you are right!

but remember... neon eggs are VERY SENSETIVE to light!
you have to put the eggs in a totally black environment with only a dI'm light on... (at the side)

OP
Tom

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I will only separate the eggs from the parents when I have enough room to do so. I don't feel like trying to take out all the fish in the tank just to accomidate a few eggs. It might sound mean or cruel, but if they do it now, I think they will try again later when I have the room to house the others.
Tom

New Threads