Help Tetra Issues and Advice Needed Please!

TheGeeko

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello there! I've been having some issues with one of my ember tetras. I am going to explain this in further issue with the emergency template (but this really isn't an emergency, so don't feel the need to respond immediately!).

Tank
10 gallon aquarium that has been running for nearly a year, with a filter, heater kept at about 78F. I have 10 ember tetras and a pair of male guppies in the tank. There are definitely quite a few shrimp in the tank, but I don't think that stocking is the issue.

Maintenance
I change about 25% of the water every 7-10 days with a gravel vac. I use Seachem Prime for treating the water, but I've also been adding in some API Stress Coat :)

Parameters
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes!
What do you use to test the water? API Master Test Kit
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: currently 20 ppm (will be doing a water change tomorrow)
pH: 7

Feeding
I feed my fish twice a day with whatever they can eat in about one minute.

Illness & Symptoms
I have had the tetras for nearly a year and the guppies for about two months (they went through quarantine and have had no issues!). I noticed these symptoms a few days ago. Basically, one of my ember tetras, one that has always been very weak throughout its entire life. I purchased it from a Petco (something I'm not super proud of) because it had popeye in one eye. It was already too far gone when I brought it home, so it no longer has vision in that eye and I could not fix it. I am concerned however, because I have noticed extensive bloating in my tetra. At first, I was thinking it might have had some eggs in it, but now I'm not too sure. It appears that the bloating has gotten a little worse and I now can see a few small dark veins in its stomach. I literally see no difference in its activity and it still ate and all of my other tetras look great. I added a little bit of aquarium salt but not very much. None of my other tetras have any issues at all. I personally don't think it's any issues with my water quality because I have raised tetras my embers spawned in the tank, but I'm not sure if it could just be the result of poor breeding (on Petco's end) or if it was just naturally weak. Would appreciate the help :D

Thank you guys for the help! I really just want to make sure that my fish are healthy and that I can do everything to make sure that this ember tetra is okay. Thanks again!

This is a photo of the tetra in question. It's not super high quality but I hope it helps people!! This is the tetra's blind side. It doesn't have any veins on this side
1585184655301.png

OP
TheGeeko

TheGeeko

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
erinw347 said:
He looks very bloated. Have you noticed any pineconing?
Yes, he is rather bloated (and I find it odd because he is bloated a different amount on each side). I have not noticed any pineconing yet. Thanks for getting back! :D

I started adding Melafix into the tank yesterday just in case it is dropsy, but I've never really had experience with it, if this is the case. My water parameters are pretty good so I'm confused about what this could be, and why all of my other fish are doing great. This tetra that is sick currently has always been the weakest, but I would really like to help him get better as soon as possible.

New Threads