Tetra Heater ...fish cooked over night

Wickette

I had a 100watt Tetra Heater in a 30 gallon tank (the automatic ones that don't have setting, just keep the water 78-80). It's 2 years and 4mos old the fish tank's room is kept at 72-74° always , it was hardly overworked . Fed the fish the previous night, went to do a water change 14hours later, the temp was at 113° . The fish literally cooked, flesh turned white, eyes turned solid.
I had no idea these heaters could over heat or that a 100watt heater could make 30gallons of water so hot and for so long. The thing was still functioning/cycling... just at 113°. The current version is cheaper and has terrible reviews, the version I got at the time was priced the same as the Aqueon/fluval/eheim/hagen heaters and much better rated.
Sad, weird, frustrating.

Nickguy5467

get yourself an inkbird controller and youll never have this issue again(granted the inkbird doesnt break) the controller has a target temp and once the heater hits it power to the heater is shut off until it goes below dip target. it kicks on again. but no more overnight cooked fish

so i guess even if the heater wants to go to 113. the controller wont let it. only up til it wants it to

works for cooling too but ive never used that yet

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Mindy3
  • Question
Replies
Views
Frank the Fish guy
  • Aquatica88