Tetra Having Trouble Swimming

bcfishtanks
Hi, everyone,

Noticed one of my buddies having trouble swimming today. Seems to be sinking and having trouble staying up. Its color is great, and it doesn't look bloated or physically ill/injured. I've had this guy for almost 2 months. Only had a 1 week QT after purchase due to an emergency with needing to get my male honey a new mate, but was preemptively treated for parasites while in QT. No one else is showing symptoms.

Parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (I have many fast-growing plants, including pothos)

Tank: 29g, 4 months, though some media is about 13 months old

Temp: 75

Stocking:

2 honey gouramis
1 thick lipped gourami
10 glowlight tetras
11 cories
2 ghost shrimp
1 nerite

Any thoughts on what could be weighing my buddy down?

Attachments

• 20211124_140643.jpg
    20211124_140643.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211124_140648.jpg
    20211124_140648.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20211124_140656.jpg
    20211124_140656.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 25
DoubleDutch
Can you place more pics ? The gills of the other one don't seem to be okay as well

bcfishtanks
Oh that one is okay. Her name is Mr. Decrepit. She got fungus 3 times on her gills over a year ago. Her mouth is also deformed, but she's completely functional. I was told she'd only live a few months with most of her gill plate gone like that, but she's doing great.

Good news: it's not dead. It's also more horizontal than vertical, but still struggling. It ate, but didn't get much since it's not swimming very fast. Still looks completely normal besides clearly having trouble swimming (which is why it's dorsal is down. Its fins aren't clamped). It does look a bit skinny. I was thinking that one was a girl when I got the 3 new additions two months ago, so I wonder if she does have an internal problem.

Attachments

• 20211125_072123.jpg
    20211125_072123.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 10
fishkeepernewbie
Sorry to hear about your fishies problem! Hope he gets better!

bcfishtanks
Sorry to hear about your fishies problem! Hope he gets better!
Me too! It's unfortunate when there's something wrong with no clear answer on what it is. Just hoping it's not sick in an infectious way.

fishkeepernewbie
Me too! It's unfortunate when there's something wrong with no clear answer on what it is. Just hoping it's not sick in an infectious way.
Yes, it's better to have a clear answer and treat the tank than to not have a clear answer and just put a bunch of meds in.. The worst part about fish getting sick is often you have to euthanize it.. it's just so sad. Fingers crossed he's ok and it isn't too bad.

bcfishtanks
Yes, it's better to have a clear answer and treat the tank than to not have a clear answer and just put a bunch of meds in.. The worst part about fish getting sick is often you have to euthanize it.. it's just so sad. Fingers crossed he's ok and it isn't too bad.
Agreed. Already had to euthanize one fish this year (she had parasites, and the meds took so long to get to me), so I'm hoping this buddy recovers. You gotta do what you gotta do, though. At least it's one of the new members of the school and not one of my 7 that I've had for over a year now.

bcfishtanks
Had to euthanize the poor guy this morning. It was just laying on the ground on its side. Still have no idea what happened. It looks physically fine. Might throw in some levamisole just to be safe, since I've only had this fish for two months, and it took 4 months for me to realize my honey gouramis had brought camallanus worms home from my LFS over the summer. Got these tetras at the same place, so better safe than sorry.

DoubleDutch
Had to euthanize the poor guy this morning. It was just laying on the ground on its side. Still have no idea what happened. It looks physically fine. Might throw in some levamisole just to be safe, since I've only had this fish for two months, and it took 4 months for me to realize my honey gouramis had brought camallanus worms home from my LFS over the summer. Got these tetras at the same place, so better safe than sorry.
Sorry to hear !

bcfishtanks
It's all right. It was expected by the 3rd day of this behavior. I decided not to do levamisole today but I will do two water changes this week instead of one to be safe

Similar Aquarium Threads

60 Gallon Tank Glowlight Tetra Issue
Replies
Views
Lucy
  • Question
Replies
Views
PeaP
Replies
Views
abarb