Tetra Growths

1. f

fijisteve Valued Member Member

I have 18 neon tetras. 6 in a 60ltr with a breeding pair of gbrs, and the other 12 in a 150ltr with pair of hbrs and 2 baby bristlenose.
    All have been well with no changes for about 3 months.
    Parameters are spot on. I'm not interested in that. Don't bother asking about parameters and tank sizes. Thats all good.
    But ive notice around half the tetras have suddenly got growths on their mouths. The weird thing is, its happened in both tanks. All the tetras were bought together, so i guess it could be genetic.
    I immediately removed all of them and put them in a hospital tank with methylene blue.
    Its been 5 days and all seem fine. The tetras that didn't have growths, still haven't.
    What is it? Ive seen clips on youtube, but no explanations

2. Caitlin86

Caitlin86 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like cotton mouth/ columnaris. Here is a great thread by CindiL -
    Columnaris. If u have been using the same equipment (nets, gravel vac, buckets) for both tanks u most likely spread the infection.

3. OP
    OP
    f

Cheers. I'll have a read of the link. Does it only spread between tetras? All my other fish are fine. Actually, only half of the tetras have it. Thats what confused me. If they all had it, I'd have something to go on?

4. Caitlin86

Columnaris is spread to all fish. By chance have any pics?

5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

Look for several other threads alike in the past weeks. It's probably not Columnaris.

6. Caitlin86

What do u think it Is?

7. DoubleDutch

Facts are that since some years these growths are seen in asian bred neons.
    It seems to be neon-specific, not contagious to other fish, not directly lethal, untreatable. Just answered in a South African forum like this so it is widespread.

Only thing I can think.of is a viral disease just like lymphocystis and DGD ( an Iridoo virus).

No scientific proof but the signs are there to me.

8. OP
    OP
    f

Thanks caitlin86. Good thread. I cant get a pic at the mo, as the fish are in a tank of meth blue. It's not really cottony looking though. I'd say it look solid. Almost like an extension of the lip. No gasping for air and not abnormal behaviour. Other fish all seem fine. My gbrs even spawned last night, so they're obviously feeling ok. Very strange.

9. OP
    OP
    f

DoubleDutch.
    What do you think it could be then? Since I've had them in the meth blue, it doesn't seem to have spread to the rest. 5 days now and apart from the growths, you wouldn't know anything was wrong.

10. OP
    OP
    f

Sorry. A crossover there.
    Sounds plausable. Although, wouldn't they all get it?
    I'm a bit worried about placing them back in their tanks. I'll keep them in the hospital for a week or 2. See what happens.

Unless anyone has any other theorys?

11. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

I've had two different kinds of growths on the mouths of Neons and managed to cure them both. One looked like Columnaris (bacteria growing on the Neon's tissues) and one looked like a Virus (unregulated growth of the Neon's own tissues).

12. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with DoubleDutch. I have seen a lot of this recently. No one knows what it is and as far as I know, it has not been successfully treated. (I haven't heard of any fish dying, just not getting better)

13. OP
    OP
    f

Sounds like this is a breeding problem then, thats got out of hand.
    It definitely seems like redsharks explanation (the fishes own tissue growth), although its very hard to get a good look at a tetra (unless they've popped their clogs).

14. DoubleDutch

Have a search for some other threads alike. This is the ome at the South African forum Neon help please

Neon help please

But I think you do the right thing seperating them for some time and see what happens.

15. Redshark1

Redshark1 Well Known Member Member

Help - Help! Neon With Strange Patch On Mouth

In posts 19 and 34 in the above thread I explain the steps I took which resulted in these mouth growths gradually disappearing from my own neons over several months. So be assured they can be successfully dealt with.