Tetra for Acara\ANGELFISH?

1. Katiec90 Member Member

55 gal tank
    So, I have asked a lot about Dithers for this tank. I went the the suggestion of larger tetra, Black Skirt was one of the suggestions. So I bought a school

Now, one of my angels is missing its tail\fin.
    I know it was the tetra. Because I saw them bite the others before I got them out.
    Is fin nipping something I can expect from other tetra as well? I'm very reluctant to try any at this point. I really like bleeding heart tetra but...

The only only other thank i have is a 10 gal with a betta, and there after him now...

2. peregrine Member Member

When you say you bought a "school" how many?

3. Katiec90 Member Member

4. peregrine Member Member

Hmm from what I've read they can nip, but usually they do it when not in a school. Just curious is it just one or all of them ((you could just have an evil sadistic one, I had a sadistic ghost shrimp))

5. Katiec90 Member Member

It looks to be 2 or 3 or them. Theyre chasing the betta now, which is the only other tank I have..

I think I'll just steer clear of tetra..

6. JeffK Well Known Member Member

Maybe try praecox rainbows?

7. Charles556 Member Member

If you're ever interested in getting tetras for the Angelfish tank again, I would recommend looking into lemon tetras. They grow to about 2 inches and should be peaceful and happy as long as they're kept in a school.

Your EBA should also have a tough time fitting one in its mouth, depending on the size of the fish.

8. Katiec90 Member Member

With larger acara, he might be able to. But she's pretty relaxed I honestly dont think she would bother them.

Yes I'm considering rainbows. I was hoping for some glass catfish and bleeding heart tetra but...lol

9. Katiec90 Member Member

Just an update, I moved them to a little 10 gal with 3 smallish goldfish until I could find them a home or get a tank just for the Black skirts and do species community (they were chasing my betta). All was well..until I came home today to a bloody floating goldfish. Pet smart let me switch them out for 4 guppies, so we will see how they do (with the angels and acara)