Tetra Fish Food

CaptAnnDuchow

I use the flakes because they were given to me with some fish but I prefer hikarI foods.

Coptapia

I’ll sing the praises of Tetra foods till the day I die. Their flakes, Min and Fin, and Prima, are the best staple foods on the market imo. Always have been, since the 1960’s. A lot of people go for the newer foods but Tetra foods have 50 years of research and development behind them. That speaks for itself.

JaksAquatics

I love tetra foods I have some hikarI but I feed my fish in my 20 gallon tetra

Fanatic

I will have to respectfully disagree, tetra foods definitely do not have the best ingredients, and they are not one of the best choices, just the most popular.

My fish are fed a variety of foods by omega one, and northfin, which contain whole fish instead of just meal, which is a healthier alternative.

goldface

I like Tetra, but I'm more of a fan of their flake foods. I use other brands too.

Contrary to what many people think, fish meal or by-product is perfectly fine. In some cultures people even use and consume it. The skin, heads, collar bone, guts (egg sacs, for instance), contain a lot of nutrition. If one checks out a fish market in Harlem, there are fish by-product on ice to be sold for human food. And large fish have a surprisingly large amount of meat between the vertebrae. Besides, most aquarium fish don't even consume such rich foods in the wild. Yes, I'm calling even flake foods as nutritionally rich.

Also, I hate that some "premium" fish foods are using whole cod and even halibut. That's just wrong, imo.

DoubleDutch

I like Tetra. I use other brands too.

Contrary to what many people think, fish meal or by-product is perfectly fine. In some cultures people even use and consume it. The skin, heads, guts (egg sacs, for instance), contain a lot of nutrition. Besides, most aquarium fish don't even consume such rich foods in the wild. Yes, I'm calling even flake foods as nutritionally rich.

Also, I hate that some "premium" fish foods are using whole cod and even halibut. That's just wrong, imo.
Uhhh I don't exactly understand your point. A lot of tropical fish even don't eat fish at all so what do you mean with more or less rich food. So is fishmeal what they should be fed and seen as "more rich" than in nature. Is rich better then?

CandyCane701

I thought you were asking about food for tetras at first. Not the brand. Lol. My brain isn't working today.

goldface

Uhhh I don't exactly understand your point. A lot of tropical fish even don't eat fish at all so what do you mean with more or less rich food. So is fishmeal what they should be fed and seen as "more rich" than in nature. Is rich better then?
I guess I didn't explain myself very well. Some people are saying that whole fish is better than by-product in fish foods. I'm trying to say it doesn't matter. My point was that even by-product is very nutritionally rich, and that most fish we keep in the hobby actually consume very low-nutrient foods in the wild. So I don't get it when people expect their fish foods to have whole ocean fish. Wild discus, for instance, are practically detrivores, picking at leaf litter for tiny morsels of food. If fishkeepers are going to fuss about fish as an ingredient, I think the more important question to ask is the quality of the whole ingredient or by-product being used, and not whole versus meal debate.

DoubleDutch

I guess I didn't explain myself very well. Some people are saying that whole fish is better than by-product in fish foods. I'm trying to say it doesn't matter. My point was that even by-product is very nutritionally rich, and that most fish we keep in the hobby actually consume very low-nutrient foods in the wild. So I don't get it when people expect their fish foods to have whole ocean fish. Wild discus, for instance, are practically detrivores, picking at leaf litter for tiny morsels of food. If fishkeepers are going to fuss about fish as an ingredient, I think the more important question to ask is the quality of the whole ingredient or by-product being used, and not whole versus meal debate.
Ahhh okay, I agree on that.
I think a lot of whole fish end up in fishmeal as well.

ystrout

Tetra Min food isn't very high quality and I suggest using Omega One, NLS, or Northfin.

Look at ingredients on Tetra Min tropical flakes. Only 2 of the top ingredients contain 'fish', the rest is filler products like wheat, starch, rice, products, etc. The 2 "fish based" ingredients are meal products which is essentially processed junk food that has been sitting in a warehouse for months.

Now take a look at Omega One tropical flakes. They use whole salmon, herring, and shrimp. This fish is caught in Alaska and I believe they make their food right there too. This essentially means it's much fresher and higher quality. Now look at their fillers... Only 2 of the top 6 ingredients are fillers whereas Tetra has 4 of 6 top ingredients as fillers, and the 2 whole products are meal products.

Omega One also contains pea protein and kelp. Fish love peas and they're very healthy. I have never directly fed my fish kelp, but I have heard good things.

I feed my tropical community fish (danios, tetras, and a gourami) Omega One tropical flakes and Fluval Bug Bites. I'll be switching to Northfin Bug Pro after the Fluval Bug Bites are gone. Then once a week I mix in peas, bloodworms, and brine shrimp.

bgclarke

Also depends on what your fish will eat.
I tried Omega One flakes, but none of my fish would eat it. Ended up feeding that to the assassin snails.

My fish prefer Aqueon Tropical flakes (which has disappeared from the shelves here) and Cobalt Mysis Spirulina flakes.

Northfin is coming our with flake food soon. I'm really looking forward to that.

Mr. Kgnao

I don't think there's a huge difference between flake/pellet foods. I use Sera, but really for no better reason than I find their packaging aesthetically pleasing and the labels are compostable. If Tetra works for you, use Tetra and be prepared to be looked down upon by the "I only use x brand foods, they're made from only the finest narwhals, harvested in the Himalayas by Vestal Virgins whose hands are washed exclusively in the waters of Mt. Everest's snowmelt." crowd.

Redshark1

My Clown Loaches where brought up on Tetramin and they have reached 11.5" and 25 years of age.

I cannot see any disadvantage when other people fail completely to rear their Clown Loaches to this size and age on other foods.

DarkOne

TetraColor Tropical Granules is awesome. I started using it after watching LRB Aquatics on YouTube and since it was being mentioned so much, I bought a 10oz can to try out and it's become the staple for most of my fish. I have a ton of other foods but my fish spawn more often since switching to TCTG.

Amazon has the 10oz can on sale for $6.80 shipped so I ordered 2 more cans even though I have 1 1/2 cans still.

Lchi87 KingD

Lchi87

TetraColor Tropical Granules is awesome. I started using it after watching LRB Aquatics on YouTube and since it was being mentioned so much, I bought a 10oz can to try out and it's become the staple for most of my fish. I have a ton of other foods but my fish spawn more often since switching to TCTG.

Amazon has the 10oz can on sale for $6.80 shipped so I ordered 2 more cans even though I have 1 1/2 cans still.

Lchi87 KingD
Haha, thanks for the tag. The fish do love the food, I must say!

RazorTightMike

Also depends on what your fish will eat.
I tried Omega One flakes, but none of my fish would eat it. Ended up feeding that to the assassin snails.

My fish prefer Aqueon Tropical flakes (which has disappeared from the shelves here) and Cobalt Mysis Spirulina flakes.

Northfin is coming our with flake food soon. I'm really looking forward to that.

I believe my aqueon 20 gal kit came with those same flakes. My long fin white skirt tetras love em... I was debating if I should get something "better". I'm assuming since it came with the kit it's probably low tier quality.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NeonTetraMX
  • Question
Replies
Views
airdog44
  • Question
Replies
Views
Flyfisha