Tetra Buddies and Cleaning

1. j

junrei Valued Member Member

So, I have two tetras now (for cycling purposes). When I have my tank cycled, I want to add more tetras and a cleaning animal. My question is three fold. 1. What kinds of tetras will school with Neon Tetras (other than other Neons)? Are there any fish that do really well with tetras? (I was thinking about a leopard Daino, would that be ok?) Finally, are there any good algae/waste eaters? I tried a Cory Cat but that didn't go well. I wanted to add shrimp. Would an Ammano and Ghost shrimp work and do well with tetras? My water is fairly hard (120-160).

I wanted to consult with other experienced people after my trouble with my catfish petstore advice.

2. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Is this still the 10 gallon tank? I'm sure that you"ll find out that neon tetras are not the best for fish in cycling. Read Anders24 list of fish suitable for a 10 gallon. I personally don't recommend fish in cycling.

3. LilChicken

LilChicken Valued Member Member

Leopard danios are a schooling fish and schooling/shoal in fish really need to be in groups of 6+.

I agree with Et tu that it's best to do fish less cycling as its cycling can be stressful for the fish. I wouldn't add any more fish until the tank has cycled completely.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Neon tetras need a bigger tank than a 10 gallon. And they need a group of their own species, not mixed and matched with other tetras.
    I would get ember tetras in the future when it's cycled, they need a group of 6+ of their own species.
    Danios, as mentioned, need a group of 6+ of their own species. And they are way too active for a 10 gallon. So no to those. No cory would work in a 10g, they also need a group of 6+ of their own species.

For the future stock I would do this: 12 ember tetras and shrimp.

5. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Hi and welcome to Fishlore!

I would also return or re-home those 2 neon tetras since they need at least 6 of their own species and are much too active for a 10g. If you have room to upgrade, then I would recommend it.

Also, just to let you know that cory cats are not algae/waste eaters. :)

6. OP
    OP
    j

Yes, I found out that cory cats are not when it died.

As for the other posts, one, I don't have a way to do a fishless cycle; two, they are doing great so far and the cycle should be about done; three, if I can't keep tetras what am I supposed to keep, goldfish? Ew. I guess I'll take a look at Anders' list. I'm not going to add any fish until the tank is cycled. Petsmart told me it was after their test. It isn't and I'm never going there again. I just am trying to do research to decide what I'm going to get well in advance of actually getting them so I can get all the info I need to keep them well.
    Thank you for your advice.

7. Anders247

Goldfish are way too big for a 10g.... so no. Not sure if you meant that seriously or not.

As I mentioned ember tetras will work, a school of 6+.

8. OP
    OP
    j

My tank is a 10g long. I did a calculation and I can hold about 17 in of small bodied fish in my tank. Average tetra size is 1.5 in. Six of them yield a size of 9 in which is well below my max threshold. I don't see the problem. Where is this fish list of yours Anders? Also, the goldfish thing was sarcasm.
    P.S. You're a native Kansan? I am too.

9. Anders247

Yes, I'm a Kansan. Cool!
    Here's the list: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...tions/200264-stocking-options-10-gallons.html
    What did you calculate with? The inch per gallon "rule"? That's inaccurate and junk, frankly.

10. OP
    OP
    j

11. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

I've never seen that one. What it fails to incorporate is the height of the tank, the filtration, and most important, the kind of fish. Online calculators don't work as far as I can tell. There is even a fairly popular one that does take some of these things into consideration, but it is still inaccurate. I can't think of what its called right now.

12. Anders247

Agreed with BDpups, online calculators aren't accurate.

13. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Aqua advisor is the one I was thinking of. Better than most, but I still would not use it.

Sent from my iPhone with my fingers.