Tetra advice

Discussion in 'Tetras' started by Scanlon, Mar 19, 2010.

1. S

Scanlon Valued Member Member

Hi,

I hope this is not a stupid question, but I was trying to select fish for my new tank and would like some tetras. From the information I've read I have found out it's better to keep them in shoals of around twelve.

My question is would the shoal have to consist of the same type i.e. all neons or could I for instance have 4 neons, 4 glowlights and 4 diamonds? Would they be happy together or are they sworn enemies?

I new to this so be gentle.

2. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Ech shoal doesnt have to be 12, I say 4 at the least for each separate shoal, but 6 is a good number.
    I think the selection you have chose will be fine as all of them are alike (other tan being tetras:p) e.g. the glowlight and neons both have a stripe(s). I think the fish you have listed will be fine :)

3. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

I thought they'd call a group of tetras a school? Anyways, I second on what Platy Ben said. A good group of 6 tetras will be happy. But the more the better :)

4. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

No worries, they will be fine together in those numbers. I'd like to see them in larger groups of their own kind, but it isn't a big deal. Since your tank is 50 gallons, you easily have enough room to add 10 of each species (SLOWLY of course, after the tank cycles).

Do you have any other ideas for your tank? Anything else you might like other than tetras? I'm sure we can help you get a plan together if you need our help. :)

5. Tana

Tana Valued Member Member

I have 4 each of the neons and glowlights in my 10 gallon and they all get along but they don't really school together because I think they just don't really have enough swim space in that small of a tank. I will be moving them into the 38 gallon once it's set up and cycled and getting approximately 6-8 more of each variety so they can be happier in the larger group as harpua2002 suggests. They have a small bio-load, so I would also recommend more for your sized tank.

6. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I love tetras. They seem more comfortable in groups of 6 or more. :;2cents

7. OP
    OP
    S

Scanlon Valued Member Member

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice, I was really hoping that was the case as I've always loved tetras. They have definatly made the final cut.

Would really like your advice on tank mates for them maybe some bigger fish.

Thanks again.

8. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

SA dwarf cichlids make nice tank mates for tetras. If you're interested, look into rams or apistogramma. Corydoras catfish are excellent tank mates as well.

9. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

Maybe some sort of gourami for the type of the tank aswel :)

I totally agree, dwarf cichlids are great with tetras :)

10. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Yoyo loaches are a wonderful tank mate and add a whole new dimension of activity to the tank. :party0024:

11. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

From the research I have done the cardinal and neon tetras need to go into an established tank. Once your tank has cycled you need to have some other fish in it for several months then you can add the tetras.

12. c

chunkdaddy Valued Member Member

I've got Zebra Danios with my BA Tetras. They get along well together.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice