Tetra "Advanced" 30-60 Gallon Filter

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Filters' started by ZeeZ, Jan 6, 2013.

1. ZeeZ

ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

The filter motor died on my 29 Gallon tank two nights ago and I was unable to make a trip to pick up a new filter, so the 29G had to live through the night without a filter. I've done this before and the fish were fine the next day but I needed a quick fix and as I'm moving next month, needed to save money.

So off to Wal-Mart I went and picked up a Tetra "Advanced" Power Filter for 30-60 Gallons. I hated this filter on sight, but I needed it, so I bought it. All of the other boxes had been opened so I grabbed the only one that had not been opened.

It's this one -

Arrived home yesterday to open it then pull the filter out only to see little black pieces fall to the floor. Huh? I looked at the filter and saw that it was the retaining clips that holds the pump to the filter. All but one were broken, which basically rendered it useless. I had to grab two medium-sized black zip-ties and tie them together and zip-tied the pump to the filter. That worked, but the top tube has a black rubber "grommet" thing that kept popping off the pump. I had to put the filter on the tank first then put the tube on once it was in position.

The old filter's cartridges would not fit the new filter. Fortunately, I keep filter floss behind the cartridges in case I need to set up a quick tank. I was able to reuse the rough sponges in front but not the cartridges that hold them or the floss cartridges at all.

I also want to note that there was black dust everywhere. I had to rinse and wipe the whole thing out first before I put it to work.

I will NOT buy a Tetra filter again. Once I'm settled in my new place, I plan on upgrading this tank to possibly a canister or a better product and keep this Tetra filter for a backup only. The only positive thing is that this has a good flow.

Photos. -

Note that the rubber grommet is ill-fitting -

Black dust -

Running -

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Ziggi

ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

Pieces fall to the floor = back to the store! :eek:

Is it quiet atleast?

3. tunastrack

tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

I have this filter in the 40l I got for free back in Oct. It hasnt given me any problems. However yours looks quite a bit different than mine. I would write to Tetra show them the pictures etc. I have had success in the past with them giving me credits for issues. (I had bought a can of food that was half empty and they sent me 4 coupons for free food of the same exact type. So I got 4xs what I paid for)...Never know worth a shot! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice