Tetra 6-in-1 Easystrips Question

1. Daylight Member Member

I just tested my 20-gallon long tank and I found that my nitrate was orange and nitrite was white. On the chart, it does not show those color and I am worried that the reading might be trying to tell me that something is wrong.

Here's the reading/strip(the ammonia test strip on top and the 6-in-1 strip on the bottom):
    fish.jpg

2. vin Well Known Member Member

Not really familiar with test strips. Unfortunately they're highly unreliable. Part of the issue with them is exactly what you are saying. Are you close to a local fish store that can test water if you bring it to them? If they're any good they will use a liquid test kit.

Most, if not all of the keepers on this site use the API Master Test Kit as it's highly reliable and easy to use.

3. Daylight Member Member

My closest pet store is Petco and they also use these test strips so they don't really help. I'll try to buy the master kit as I am broke right now. I just want to know what my reading is right now

4. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Maybe they went bad? While they are not as unreliable as all API fans seem to believe they can go bad if they touch other stuff or stay in contact with the air for too long.
    I dont test my water and none of my fish have died from bad water quality, if you are worried about it do a 50% and see how the fish do.

5. Polyrhythm Member Member

Really test strips aren't all that unreliable. They're better than having nothing to test with.

Do you have a picture of the color chart?

6. Daylight Member Member

The ammonia is easy to read but I attach the 6-in-1 comparison chart as a pdf file.

Attached Files:

7. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Is your water that soft? What polyrhythm says makes sense to me.

8. Polyrhythm Member Member

It's sort of a peachy color, I'm guessing you don't have enough nitrates to get a full pink color, but enough for the patch to get some color (so less than 20 but not 0)

Nitrite looks to be 0

9. Daylight Member Member

ok thanks and is this a good reading?

10. Polyrhythm Member Member

Yes, with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and the presence of nitrates that means your tank is cycled.

11. vin Well Known Member Member

Yikes! Petco near me doesn't even sell test strips! They use the API kit.

12. Daylight Member Member

You're lucky I wish I had a petco that uses the master kit