Tetra 20 gallon aqurauiam

Hamham

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How do I clean my tank? Do I like take a bowl to get 20-30% out or what?

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I don't think it will increase your electric bill that much. I'm running 5 tanks in my house and it hasn't really affected the electric bill, not a lot

Hamham

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can you guess the amount of money per month

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
The amount your tank will add to your electric bill would depend on how much electricity it's using (Each part should state the amount of watts they use) and how much electricity is in your area. You'd have to do the math to figure that out.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'd be more worried about your water bill going up more than your electric bill, to be frank.

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
But I don't think running the 20 gallon will result in a high electric bill. It shouldn't be much. Well for me because I'm still a teen and I don't pay the electric bill lol

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would be a lot more worried about the electric bill if you were running a chiller on a 500G reef system with well over 1000W metal halides.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
LiterallyHydro said:
I would be a lot more worried about the electric bill if you were running a chiller on a 500G reef system with well over 1000W metal halides.
Looks to me like the OP has a freshwater setup.

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Dom90 said:
Looks to me like the OP has a freshwater setup.

I wasn't assuming the person had a reef tank. I'm saying that's what would rack up the electric bill rapidly.

Hamham

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all!! My moms really worried that she would have to pay higher bills because of my freshwater tank so let's see what happens...

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Shouldn't raise the electric bill much at all. This is especially the case if you're running LEDs instead of CFLs, T5s, T8s etc.

Hamham

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am running LED

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Your 20 gallon aquarium shouldn't raise the electric bill more than a few dollars max then.

Hamham

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you very much!! I'll let you know if it's higher than I expect

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The led's will cost approx. 10-15 cents a day and the filter if it is like a whisper with a magnet type motor approx 20-25 cents a day. Now if you will be using a heater that is where it may start to add up a bit. Still running all of the above will cost less than surfing the net for a few hours a day.

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I saw about a $20 increase in my electric bill with running a 1.5 gallon, 5 gallon heated, 10 gallon heated, 55 gallon heated. The heaters use the most electricity especially the more theyre running. My 10 gallon is no longer heated. The 55 gallon has a decent LED light fixture, as well as 3 filters and the heater, so I attribute most of it to that. a single 20 gallon shouldnt add much to the bill, maybe $2-4 a month.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey its funny the OP started this thread... the wife was commenting to me the other day how our electric went up a bit, but our water bill stayed the same... With all this water filling up a 75 gallon and the water changes etc..

Bluestreakfl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well if you recycle old tank water and water your garden with it, it negates an increase in the water bill. Being on county or city sewer is where they really charge you, you're paying for 10% water and like 90% is sewer. We have a septic tank, our water bill runs about $25 a month.

Et tu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hamham said:
How do I clean my tank? Do I like take a bowl to get 20-30% out or what?
Use a gravel vacuum, look on youtube to get an idea of how to use it. They cost around ten dollars, petco,petsmart & walmart have them.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads