Tetra 20 gallon aqurauiam

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Hamham, Jul 10, 2015.

1. H

Hamham New Member Member

How do I clean my tank? Do I like take a bowl to get 20-30% out or what?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

I don't think it will increase your electric bill that much. I'm running 5 tanks in my house and it hasn't really affected the electric bill, not a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. OP
    OP
    H

Hamham New Member Member

Can you guess the amount of money per month

4. AquaticBrandon

Not sure on that sorry, but this calculator might help

5. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

The amount your tank will add to your electric bill would depend on how much electricity it's using (Each part should state the amount of watts they use) and how much electricity is in your area. You'd have to do the math to figure that out.

6. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd be more worried about your water bill going up more than your electric bill, to be frank.

7. AquaticBrandon

But I don't think running the 20 gallon will result in a high electric bill. It shouldn't be much. Well for me because I'm still a teen and I don't pay the electric bill lol

8. LiterallyHydro

I would be a lot more worried about the electric bill if you were running a chiller on a 500G reef system with well over 1000W metal halides.

9. Dom90

Looks to me like the OP has a freshwater setup.

10. LiterallyHydro

I wasn't assuming the person had a reef tank. I'm saying that's what would rack up the electric bill rapidly.

11. OP
    OP
    H

Hamham New Member Member

Thank you all!! My moms really worried that she would have to pay higher bills because of my freshwater tank so let's see what happens...

12. LiterallyHydro

Shouldn't raise the electric bill much at all. This is especially the case if you're running LEDs instead of CFLs, T5s, T8s etc.

13. OP
    OP
    H

Hamham New Member Member

I am running LED

14. LiterallyHydro

Your 20 gallon aquarium shouldn't raise the electric bill more than a few dollars max then.

15. OP
    OP
    H

Hamham New Member Member

Thank you very much!! I'll let you know if it's higher than I expect

16. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

The led's will cost approx. 10-15 cents a day and the filter if it is like a whisper with a magnet type motor approx 20-25 cents a day. Now if you will be using a heater that is where it may start to add up a bit. Still running all of the above will cost less than surfing the net for a few hours a day.

17. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

I saw about a $20 increase in my electric bill with running a 1.5g, 5g heated, 10g heated, 55g heated. The heaters use the most electricity especially the more theyre running. My 10g is no longer heated. The 55g has a decent LED light fixture, as well as 3 filters and the heater, so I attribute most of it to that. a single 20g shouldnt add much to the bill, maybe $2-4 a month.

18. Dom90

Hey its funny the OP started this thread... the wife was commenting to me the other day how our electric went up a bit, but our water bill stayed the same... With all this water filling up a 75g and the water changes etc..

19. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Well if you recycle old tank water and water your garden with it, it negates an increase in the water bill. Being on county or city sewer is where they really charge you, you're paying for 10% water and like 90% is sewer. We have a septic tank, our water bill runs about $25 a month.

20. E

Et tu Valued Member Member

Use a gravel vacuum, look on youtube to get an idea of how to use it. They cost around ten dollars, petco,petsmart & walmart have them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice