Tests For Cats Sense Of Smell

Discussion in 'Cats' started by Kysarkel000, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Kysarkel000

Kysarkel000 Well Known Member Member

Hey all! My baby kitty just turned 12 and I'm starting to see the effects of old age

One of the things I've noticed is she seems to not be able to smell very well. I think that's kinda odd, and I do not know if it's due to her old age or if something happened from before I had her.

The reason for this claim is that I'll hand her a peice of cat food as a treat, and it's like she doesn't even know it's there. She just rubs her face on my hand (she's a sweetie). Another reason is I'll open some wet cat food up and our roommates kitten goes nuts, but my sweetie doesn't even know till I set it her food dish.

She seems to be able to see and hear just fine,but I was wondering what are some simple tests I could do to see if she can or cant actually smell well?

Thanks in advance!!

2. Goldfishfreak

Goldfishfreak Valued Member Member

Put something right in front of her nose that has a foul odour and she her reaction. You can test to see it cats don't like it by letting the other cat smell it.
    If she can smell it she should back away or look surprised. A strong smelling chemical that is not harmful if breathed in can work as well

You could also go to a vet but this should be able to tell you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice