testing with API master kit and prime. Help

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by jsides1979, Apr 2, 2010.

1. jsides1979

jsides1979 Valued Member Member

Got a odd problem going on with my tank. I was in the middle of the cycle and ammonia was 0 and the nitrite was 5.0ppm+ and was doing daily water changes which help bring it down some. Some members told me about prime, so I went out and bought some and been using it when I do water changes and by the directions. Question is I tested everything last night and haven't done any water changes in the past few days and my test come back. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 0 nitrate. Could it be the API kit giving me false readings or the prime. I am not sure if my tank flipped on me or what.

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Prime can give a false ammonia readings if you don't wait 24 hours to test (according to seachem's website)

Otherwise, it shouldn't effect the cycle.

The #2 nitrate bottle has to be banged around pretty well to get the crystals mixed.
    Otherwise you could get a false 0 reading.

I'd suggest that you test the nitrates again, this time shake and whack the bottle on the edge of a table a couple of times.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Jsides,

Be sure to to shake the bottles really well. Especially the ones for Nitrates. Sometimes the chemicals can form crystals on the bottom of the bottle. Check the dates on them too. They should be good for 3 years from the date stamped on the bottle. I like new kits every year myself though.

Prime should not play a role in your test results as long as you wait 24 hours to test once you've added it.

Since you have a planted tank your cycled readings may very well be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates. Without live plants you should show some nitrates, best under 20. I'd test for a couple of more days. If you get the same readings then you are probably cycled.
    :)
    Ken

Lucy :giggle:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  4. f

flyin-lowe Well Known Member Member

What fish do you have in the tank and how many. I am assuming there are fish but your profile isn't real specific. Cycling with fish takes quite a bit longer then fishless cycling. I think one reason is due to the number of water changes you have to do and keeping the ammonia levels down will not grow the bacteria as fast. I was cycling a 75 gallon tank with fish and after about 12 weeks I finally used TSS. During the 12 weeks I was getting some different readings sometimes leading me to think that I was almost cycled. Then after a day or two the ammonia was right back up and I never did get a reading for nitrites the entire time.

5. OP
    OP
    jsides1979

I read that and whacked the crap out of the bottles.

6. OP
    OP
    jsides1979

5 cichlids and a pleco. Live plants as well.

7. OP
    OP
    jsides1979

sweet! Hopefully it's cycled and wont have to do much maintainence.

8. OP
    OP
    jsides1979

everything except nitrate is at 0. I had tested it earlier and got 5ppm of nitrate. So everything is looking good.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice