Testing Water Without Test Kit

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I am cycling a tank and have no test kit, I’ve tried to explain to parents, but under circumstances am I allowed to get one. So do I just wait a week for it to cycle?

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
trash.binh91 said:
So I am cycling a tank and have no test kit, I’ve tried to explain to parents, but under circumstances am I allowed to get one. So do I just wait a week for it to cycle?
can you bring a clean jar of your tank water into a local fish store every few days? most will test for free.

unless you're using a bottled cycle starter or bottled bacteria your tank will need longer than a week to cycle. what are you going to use for an ammonia source?

FishSmart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
No, I would recommend getting the API master test kit now rather then later, so you can keep up with your parameters and see a change as you begin to cycle. It’s a long process so a test kit is very important.

Edit:
Sorry I may have misunderstood, did you mean you weren’t aloud to get one?

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
FishSmart said:
No, I would recommend getting the API master test kit now rather then later, so you can keep up with your parameters and see a change as you begin to cycle. It’s a long process so a test kit is very important.
I meant to say under no circumstances am I allowed to get one, my dad and fish supplies over $20 are not a good match.

FishSmart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
trash.binh91 said:
I meant to say under no circumstances am I allowed to get one, my dad and fish supplies over $20 are not a good match.
Okay well like the other poster has said if you have time I would recommend going to your local fish store and getting them to test your water all you really need is a container with your tank water. That’s what I’ve done before before I got a test kit.

sloughdog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you do take your water to the store, watch them do the test and get the actual numbers/parameters from the tests. Don’t let them just say “yea your water is ok” or “the test was good.” Write the numbers/parameters down so you can track them and share the results here.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it is possible to do it without testing but its shooting from the per say. We would need some more info however. Tank size. Current stock. If on town water the latest water report. And we may be able to help you come up with a plan.

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
the tank is a 6gal sterlite tub with 4 honey gouramis going in, ik that's kind of pushing it but they are in a temporary 2.5 gal after my 10 gal broke down and this 6gal is all ive got, and my parents wont let me have another tank and i don't think were gonna have the chance to get a water sample every few days or so, and our fish store is only open Tuesday-sunday from 12-6pm. and its like, 20 mins away from where we live, we go there because its better than the pet store

Jenoli42 said:
can you bring a clean jar of your tank water into a local fish store every few days? most will test for free.

unless you're using a bottled cycle starter or bottled bacteria your tank will need longer than a week to cycle. what are you going to use for an ammonia source?
i used gravel that had fish waste in it, ik, not conventional, but i also used fish food

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
4 honey gouromies in a 6 gallon tub. If you moved over a cycled filter i would do a 25-40% water change every 4 days. If uncycled i would do a 25% water change every day for 2 months to be safe then back off to every 4 days.

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
david1978 said:
4 honey gouromies in a 6 gallon tub. If you moved over a cycled filter i would do a 25-40% water change every 4 days. If uncycled i would do a 25% water change every day for 2 months to be safe then back off to every 4 days.
I’m confused, can you explain it more thoroughly?

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well, we bought too many things online this past month my dad went crazy, so buying things online isn’t the best idea, my friend is bringing me some test strips tomorrow but there is no ammonia in test strips, are there homemade recipes for testing water parameters?

FeederGuppies

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
trash.binh91 said:
the tank is a 6gal sterlite tub with 4 honey gouramis going in, ik that's kind of pushing it but they are in a temporary 2.5 gal after my 10 gal broke down and this 6gal is all ive got, and my parents wont let me have another tank and i don't think were gonna have the chance to get a water sample every few days or so, and our fish store is only open Tuesday-sunday from 12-6pm. and its like, 20 mins away from where we live, we go there because its better than the pet store
Do you have the filter from your 10 gallon? If you do, you can just use it to instant-cycle the 6 gallon.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
trash.binh91 said:
I’m confused, can you explain it more thoroughly?
I believe David means that if your filter from your smaller tank is cycled & you move that filter & all the media inside it to your new tank, then you can keep your fish safe by doing 25-40% partial water changes every 4 days.

David is making suggestions since you appatently can't get a testing kit & can't get to a fish store to get your water tested.

if you're not able to move the cycled filter in your old tank with the media to your new tank it means you're starting from scratch. so he's saying to do 25% water changes every day for 2 months.

again that's on the basis of you not having a testing kit or a way to test daily.

@david1978 sorry. . I feel like I "woman-splained" your post if that's a thing lolz

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One test is sniff.

Of the water smells foul or fishy, there is probably a spike in one of the parameters. Not very accurate, but can help you if you don’t have a test kit.

trash.binh91

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
im Using a new filter

Jenoli42 said:
I believe David means that if your filter from your smaller tank is cycled & you move that filter & all the media inside it to your new tank, then you can keep your fish safe by doing 25-40% partial water changes every 4 days.

David is making suggestions since you appatently can't get a testing kit & can't get to a fish store to get your water tested.

if you're not able to move the cycled filter in your old tank with the media to your new tank it means you're starting from scratch. so he's saying to do 25% water changes every day for 2 months.

again that's on the basis of you not having a testing kit or a way to test daily.

@david1978 sorry. . I feel like I "woman-splained" your post if that's a thing lolz
But what if there are no fish in the cycling tank

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom