Testing the water..

Fishstery

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Cdbaby123 said:
Once you have the tank cycled, how often should you test the water?
Good practice is once a week before every water change, and immediately if you have any health issues or deaths with your livestock

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would test weekly for a few months just to make sure all is well. Once the tank is steady than once a month or when you think it might need it. Only time I ever test is when I read a thread about testing :).
Now that the tank is cycled your going to add fish so after adding test the next few days. Sometimes there could be a minI cycle from to many new fish. If this happens you’ll want to do water changes to keep the ammonia down. These usually don’t last long. No longer than a week.

OP
C

Cdbaby123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
86 ssinit said:
I would test weekly for a few months just to make sure all is well. Once the tank is steady than once a month or when you think it might need it. Only time I ever test is when I read a thread about testing :).
Now that the tank is cycled your going to add fish so after adding test the next few days. Sometimes there could be a minI cycle from to many new fish. If this happens you’ll want to do water changes to keep the ammonia down. These usually don’t last long. No longer than a week.
Thank you. Since I am new to this I did not know about cycling 4 weeks ago so I am cycling with fish.... but my ammonia is now down to .5 so hopefully near end. Just looking for I formation ahead of needing it.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good move! Fish in is different and when adding new fish just add a few at a time and give it a week before more. Fish in there is only enough bacteria to keep what’s in there alive. So as you add fish bacteria needs to grow so if too many are added it can crash. How big is the tank and what type of fish? Hope your enjoying your new hobby!

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Once my tanks are up and running Ive never tested them again unless I thought something weird happened.

OP
C

Cdbaby123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
86 ssinit said:
Good move! Fish in is different and when adding new fish just add a few at a time and give it a week before more. Fish in there is only enough bacteria to keep what’s in there alive. So as you add fish bacteria needs to grow so if too many are added it can crash. How big is the tank and what type of fish? Hope your enjoying your new hobby!
10 gallon tank. I started with 1 Betta which I had in a smaller still new tank, but when my son added fish to his turtle tank and the turtle ate one he said you take them... so what is left is my Betta, Moonshine, and 3 black neon tetras, and 1 neon tetra. Will not be adding to many more fish. Just would like some that will be bottom feeders. Maybe a small catfish type fish or 2....

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Get ready for all the comments :). But 2 Cory’s will be fine in that tank. What type of filter are you using.

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cdbaby123 i've got a new tank and having to cycle it with 30 odd fish, it's done it's nitrite rise and nitrate, just waiting for ammonia to shift out at 0.25 :)

OP
C

Cdbaby123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tez said:
Cdbaby123 i've got a new tank and having to cycle it with 30 odd fish, it's done it's nitrite rise and nitrate, just waiting for ammonia to shift out at 0.25 :)
Yesterday my ammonia was at .50 it was the first time in several days that I did not do a water change of 25 - 50%. So hopefully getting to end of the cycle. My Nitrites are at 0 but my nitrates are at about a 5.

Scubatron

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I believe your ammonia will settle then the nitrites will spike in phase 2 as your nitrates start to build.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your good you’ve got enough filtration to keep your fish healthy. Nice add on the uv.

Tez

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cdbaby123 said:
Yesterday my ammonia was at .50 it was the first time in several days that I did not do a water change of 25 - 50%. So hopefully getting to end of the cycle. My Nitrites are at 0 but my nitrates are at about a 5.
You can't afford to leave one day off with the ammonia doing spikes as i've been doing this for just over a week but my nitrite is 0 and nitrate 5.0

New Threads