Testing tap water PH?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Delaneyw, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Delaneyw

Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I'm playing around testing my tap water today. About two weeks ago the PH was 7.4. Today it's 8.2??

Could I be doing something wrong? I followed the directions. It's the API master test kit.

2. ricmcc

ricmcc Well Known Member Member

To properly test the pH of your tap water, you must let it sit for awhile; water under pressure will tend to hold carbonic acid, so after the water 'gasses out', like a Lab retriever or an aging Hubby, the pH will tend to be higher.--rick

3. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

Just found it odd that I did it the exact same way and it was so drastically different.

I'll let it sit awhile. Does this affect any other readings?

Hubby 'gasses out' just fine while young.

4. ricmcc

See, males are talented folk, able to keep away mosquitoes at the expense of drawing the odd bear:)
    I think that pH is the only think affected, other than chlorine ( which is very basic, but is typically seen only in minute amounts in tap water) and such--best of luck, rick

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  5. OP
    OP
    Delaneyw

I think they're about to flush the system and change chlorine. It was supposed to start on the 6th but maybe they're already tinkering with things? Could that mess with ph?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

6. ricmcc

Yes, I believe that it certainly can.
    I check with my water utility every month or so to catch up on just what they intend to do with us---fortunately, the manager there also keeps aquariums, so tells me to always give a call if something unexpected is going on, and even e-mails me at times if a major change is planned---as he says, it helps to have friends in low places:)-in an Ed Norton sense, although he is referring to me-----best, rick

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice