Help Testing Kit Ph Bottle Problems

Rdrb

Valued Member
Reaction score
guys i got my first testing kit recently and tested my fav tanks and thankfully everything was gd but i was puzzled that when i tried the ph bottle which showed three drops to put showed 7.6 then i tried in high ph in a separate tube added 5 drops to my surprise it showed 8.2 now i was confused today i got heavy rains and checked the ph of rain water i collected it showed 7.6 again then i tried in high ph bottle this time it showed 7.4 so i am really confused kindly help

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
guys i got my first testing kit recently and tested my fav tanks and thankfully everything was gd but i was puzzled that when i tried the ph bottle which showed three drops to put showed 7.6 then i tried in high ph in a separate tube added 5 drops to my surprise it showed 8.2 now i was confused today i got heavy rains and checked the ph of rain water i collected it showed 7.6 again then i tried in high ph bottle this time it showed 7.4 so i am really confused kindly help
What test kit?

watermelon46

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The highest that it can show with the pH bottle is 7.6, that's why. When looking at the bottle in the test tube, it's a dark, blue, correct? Whenever it tests this I'd test High pH too to find the real pH because it can't show any higher when you use the just normal pH bottle.
So your real pH is 8.2
About the testing that read 7.4, I have no idea, maybe it dropped down.
It's kind of hard to read pH with API Master's test kit because it shows different results, I get it. I just use the pH bottle, and if it reads anything below 7.6, assume it's that number, and if it reads 7.6 test for high levels ph bottle and use that reading. I know it's confusing.

Mongo75

Valued Member
Reaction score
It's one or the other, they are exclusive. If your reading is 8.2 then forget the low range bottle and use the high range. The two have an overlap. The low range goes up to 7.6, the high range, down to 7.4. If your pH drops to 7.4 then I would retest with the low range to confirm. If you're normally 7.4 or lower, then use the low range, and only use the high range if you test 7.6. It's really chemistry. Your water can't be two pHs (is pHs the plural of pH?) at the same time

Just curious, has anyone tried a pond pH test that covers a much larger range?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom