Testing for the first time!

mlydeen
Today I got my light, heater, and test strips. I've had this tank for about a week and did around a 50% water change yesterday if that's important. (I am cycling my tank so there are no fish in it yet). Here is what I got (By the way these strips don't include Ammonia but includes: Nitrate, Nitrite, Hardness, Alkalinity, and PH. For Nitrate and Nitrite, I got zeros, which I hope is good. But I'm wondering if the Ammonia and Nitrite already spiked, or nothing has spiked at all. For Hardness I got around a 75-150. Alkalinity: 40. (I know this isn't very good). And finally PH I got around a 7.3-7.8. Let me know how this looks, and if I should buy strips/tests for ammonia. since it's not included in the one I got.

Dunk2
What are you putting in the tank as a source of ammonia? Your cycle won’t start unless you have an ammonia source.

In order to properly cycle the tank, you will definitely need an ammonia test. I would have recommended the API Master
Test kit.

mlydeen
Dunk2 said:
What are you putting in the tank as a source of ammonia? Your cycle won’t start unless you have an ammonia source.
Does adding fish food count? I also have my filter in if that's important.
Dunk2 said:

In order to properly cycle the tank, you will definitely need an ammonia test. I would have recommended the API Master
Test kit.
Ok!

Dunk2
mlydeen said:
Does adding fish food count? I also have my filter in if that's important.

Ok!
Sure, fish food counts. But fish food is incredibly hard to get to a target ammonia level (2 - 3 ppm is typically recommended for cycling) IMO.

Have you considered pure ammonia (absolutely no additives) or Dr. Tim’s ammonium? No matter what you use, you’ll need an ammonia source.

A full cycle typically takes 4 - 6 weeks.

Edit to add. . . Although there is an exception to this general rule, it’s typically not necessary to do water changes during a fishless cycle.

Top Bottom