Testing For Bb

DeathFromNH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have recently started moving a school of fish to a larger tank. The tank is cycled, but is still new. So can't, rather don't want to risk, dumping my full school in all at once and overload the tank so it resets. Which brought me to wondering why I don't know how to test and see what my BB levels are. Is this something I could do? Might be a stupid question but never heard of anyone doing and or talking about it. Was just trying to figure out if there was a better way to figure out if it was safe to add more of the school outside of just waiting a week.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There's no direct test for the amount of BB.

What size tank is the larger one? What are you trying to add to it? And how was it cycled? Fishless (i.e. nothing in the tank now) or is it already cycled with fish in it?

DeathFromNH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
TexasDomer said:
There's no direct test for the amount of BB.

What size tank is the larger one? What are you trying to add to it? And how was it cycled? Fishless (i.e. nothing in the tank now) or is it already cycled with fish in it?

It's a 125. I added the quick start and put ten mollys in it. I moved the mollys to another tank and I've started to add the filament barbs. I have 11 in now and 9 more coming. This has been over the course of three or four weeks.

Attachments

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hmm, if you didn't use seeded media it's surprising that it's already cycled in that time. Quick Start has the wrong kind of bacteria and doesn't work long term, so keep an eye out for spikes.

I would stock slowly, keeping an eye on water quality for a few days after each new addition.

What are the current parameters? How are you testing them?

DeathFromNH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My numbers are great.. all of the driftwood was previously used in other tanks and the plants as well... I did add some used water from a canister I cleaned as well... I've only been adding three or four filaments a week after a week of the mollys living in the tank solo.
I just have the standard API test kit and strips for when I'm lazy. Is there any difference in the test kit and the strips... is one just as effective as the other?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can you list specific water parameters from the liquid test kit? Strips aren't as accurate and they don't test for ammonia.

Adding used water didn't do much besides adding waste water to the tank. Most of the bacteria are in the filter.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom