Testing established tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Aludar, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Aludar

AludarValued MemberMember

How often and when do you test water parameters on a well established tank? Just when something seems wrong or on a more maintenence styled schedule? It never seems mentioned besides when cycling or when something seems wrong.

2. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

My tank's been established for a year now and I don't test anymore for ammonia or nitrite unless I added new fish just to make sure there are no spikes. Nitrates I'll test maybe once every couple of months just as a sanity check. Because I consistently change out 60% of the water each week, I know they will be under 20ppm.

I've been checking ph, kh and gh more recently because the gh/kh has been a bit low for me.

And then of course I'll check for all parameters if my fish are acting off.

3. Aquaphobia

AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

I also check ammonia and nitrites if I've done extra maintenance on my tank or cleaned filter or media but essentially I test the same way as el337:)

4. OP
    OP
    Aludar

AludarValued MemberMember

Thanks for the replies.

5. codyrex97

codyrex97Well Known MemberMember

You can also get a thing I think from Seachem called an ammonia detector. It lasts a year I think and it will alert you if there are any weird ammonia spikes between your routine water tests. Not needed but nifty and maybe will set your mind at ease a bit more.

6. Aquaphobia

^That's the one that has a lot of bad reviews for unreliability.

7. PeacefantasyWell Known MemberMember

Same with el337 and aquaphobia :)
    Unless of course its an occupied QT tank or one thats under probation. I tend to test everything more frequently, even when everything seems fine

8. peregrine

peregrineValued MemberMember

Aquaphobia I was wary when I got that too. Ended up getting a second one, which works fine. What I discovered ((or it could have been first one was bad second one wasn't)) was people don't read the instructions fully when they put it in. My first one I didn't fully read the instructions and I touched the little sensing disk and it went ALL over the place over a 48 hour period, lowest to highest back to lowest. Also a lot of people expect it to respond immediately. It actually said it can take hours for it to change. that being said, I still do the master test kit..

9. codyrex97

codyrex97Well Known MemberMember

Good to know!

10. oldsalt777Well Known MemberMember

Hello Alu...

You definitely should test the chemistry daily during the nitrogen cycle and weekly for a few months afterward to make sure your established water change routine is keeping the chemistry stable for the fish and plants.

I tested the water in my tanks for roughly six months after they cycled. During this time, I started removing and replacing at least half the tank water every week. I've followed this for 10 years and stopped testing the water. I don't have to, the same water isn't in the tank long enough for toxins to build up. The water is always clean and stable.

Old

11. Aquaphobia

True, provided your source water doesn't change, ever. And your fish don't grow, or die, or do anything different from what they did at first.

Basically, don't stop testing. You can slow down on the testing, but never trust that your source water won't change. I nearly died because the well-water got contaminated with something that probably washed into it after a storm. Been fine for years before that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice