test tubes.... MTS hits Question

Discussion in 'Test Kits' started by claudicles, Apr 15, 2010.

1. claudiclesWell Known MemberMember

MTS has hit badly and I am up to 11 tanks (how come the aquarium info thing only fits 3?). Water testing on that many is pretty time consuming using just the test tubes I got with the kits. Has any one found a good spot to buy a rack and multiple test tubes so I can test them all at once? Amazon has some but I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience or preferences.

Thanks.

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

You could try Bacto (I just did a google on 'test tube stands')

3. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I'm running 31 tanks atm with weekly full parameter testing on each tank.

I break mine up, a few a day because it is time consuming.

However, due to the large amount of test kits I've ordered, I have enough tubes to check 7 tanks at a time (my sw is separate). I just spread mine out across the kitchen counter, but I'm the only adult in the house, so I don't have to worry about getting in anyone's way.

I hope this helps.

4. dvc_r

dvc_rValued MemberMember

I have 6-8 tanks (depending on what month it is). With all the tanks I have accumulated a bunch of test tubes from the kits. I first made a simple holder for them but as I bought more test kits I designed a neat rack that I can test four tanks at a time!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  5. OP
    OP
    c

claudiclesWell Known MemberMember

Thanks for your input guys. I checked out Bacto and their catalogue is too confusing so I will give them a call Monday. I have enough test tubes to check two tanks at once but I have a terrible habit of getting the tubes mixed up. Your home made rack is great dvc_r. Large drill holes in a block of wood will do me if all else fails (I hadn't thought of that) but I should be able to get something more glamorous from Bacto ;P.

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Well, I think if you have 11 tanks that are all successfully running, you don't need to be testing the water all that often. Thats just my opinion - I never test my water. At least not anymore.

7. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Here are two links where you can purchase extra test tubes:

Ken

8. dvc_r

dvc_rValued MemberMember

I would do the same thing all the time. Now I group the test tubes in threes (ammonia,nitrite, nitrates) ALWAYS in that order and tank size order. I never confuse them any more. Sometimes I will skip ammonia & nitrites (since they never change) but do the same order with nitrates, phosphates, PH and KH... Funny I do it SO often I even unconsciously type them in the the same order!

9. Tana

TanaValued MemberMember

That is a really neat rack for the test tubes! Great build on that.

10. OP
    OP
    c

Thanks Ken, those two sites don't ship to Australia but now that I know they make package them separately I'll ask my LFS today to price them for me. $4.69 for a pack of three is a bit rich!
    I don't get the three colours mixed up. I get my different tanks mixed up. If I test two tanks at a time I'll be like "did this tube come from tank 3 of tank 4?" I'll be shaking the nitrates thinking "Oops, is it 7 or 8 in my left hand?" I do have a routine but I get distracted 'cos it is so boring. And I numbered my tanks in the order I got them rather than in any logical pattern according to where they are in the house.
    I mostly check for the nitrates too. The planted tanks take care of themselves but the little non planted tanks can get out of control easily. I guess I figure I should check the lot while I am at it. pH too, mostly out of curiosity. I don't "fix" it.

11. OP
    OP
    c

In case anyone is interested I checked in my LFS today and API markets a box of 24. They only had six tubes left and she charged me $1 each (Australian dollar and US dollar are somewhere near equal for the first time in ages). I'm going to make a rack with balsa wood and a drill. Sorted.

12. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Claudicles,

I'm glad you found some test tubes! :)

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice