Test Tubes in API kit

randysr1
I really get frustrated with trying to hit the 5ml mark on the tubes when I test my water. I thought there had to be a better way...then...eureka!
I thought what would happen if I used a sterile syringe?
I dug around my syringes and found a box of 1-ml syringes.
To say the least, this has made my life so much easier just filling the syringe and not trying to hit that mark and also I don't have to worry about my hands being clean. Remember the hand cream ladies!
I have 500 of these if anyone is interested or just don't want try to buy their own. (they have no needles on them, I took them off)
Randy-

capekate
HI Randy
great solution for sure! Good for you for coming up with it. ;D
ON the hand cream... or lotions... totally agree, we have to be so careful about what we have on our hands when we are putting them into the tank. And wash them really well before doing so.
I just take a cup that I save for test water, and fill that, without putting my hands in the tank water. I do not like the idea of putting the test tubes into the tank directly., no matter how much they are cleaned out, I don't want any chemical testing residue left over getting into the water or take a chance that it may.

~ kate

TheEssigs
I use small plastic bathroom cups... I dip them in the tank, take out a little water, then I bend them a bit to create a nice pour spout and then pour the water easily right into the test tube.

(be sure to use plastic tho, because I was using the paper ones at first, and as the water sits in them, they get soft and what ever holds them together leeches into the water sample and results in false water readings)

capekate
I use small plastic bathroom cups... I dip them in the tank, take out a little water, then I bend them a bit to create a nice pour spout and then pour the water easily right into the test tube.

(be sure to use plastic tho, because I was using the paper ones at first, and as the water sits in them, they get soft and what ever holds them together leeches into the water sample and results in false water readings)
Yep I was using those plastic cups too and loved how you can bend them into a spout. Ran out and now using a glass cup.. no bending there lol...

~ kate

Tavel
I figured that out the first time I used the kit. lol.

However, you get really good at dipping the tubes...I only have to dip once or twice to get the correct levels. It's usually faster than finding the syringe!

TheEssigs
I don't like to put my hands in the water unless it is really necessary, so dipping tubes isn't my prefered method, especially since I use hand creams consistantly.

I heard that using a turkey baster (that's used for fish tank use only) is also an easy way to extract and measure water levels with ease.

kra-z-fishmumm
Now you all have me worried. I stick my fingers in the water with all my tanks. I have certain fishies that like to play chase, rub up against my finger, try it out for food, etc... esp. my Bettas. Should I not do this????!!!!!

capekate
Now you all have me worried. I stick my fingers in the water with all my tanks. I have certain fishies that like to play chase, rub up against my finger, try it out for food, etc... esp. my Bettas. Should I not do this????!!!!!
I would say its ok, as long as you wash your hands really well and rinse good first, to make sure that you have no lotion or soap residue on them.

~ kate

kra-z-fishmumm
I would say its ok, as long as you wash your hands really well and rinse good first, to make sure that you have no lotion or soap residue on them.

~ kate

I do wash before sticking my hands in,,,I worry about natural oils though.

Tavel
I do wash before sticking my hands in,,,I worry about natural oils though.

it's quite fine. Any natural oils on your hands will break down just like any other organic waste. Oil is produced by anything that decays, that's why you'll see oil slicks on ponds (especially in late summer.)

AggieYen
Oh my hands are constantly in the tank - I make a little cave with my hand cupped and Champion does the whole 'now you see me, now you don't' thing, swimming inside my hand, turning around, swimming away... or, I wiggle my finger along the surface and he circles my finger like a shark for a minute and then goes in for the kill. I love it!

I do wash my hands thoroughly though, before and after.

Peterpiper
I use a glass Turkey baster for all my water tests, just flush it out 5-6 times and your good to go.

seedy
Its a great kit , but I would have to say that dipping is not the best method of filling the tubes. I use a small plastic dropper/ turkey baster that came with a different test kit.
The syringe is a very good idea too.
Something like this would really make the API kit complete , even if it added a little to the cost.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Loachlover357
Replies
Views
EvanG
Replies
Views
Corinne Collet
Replies
Views