Test Strips, or Liduid tests in tubes? 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by jacquiinaz, Mar 22, 2010.

1. j

jacquiinaz New Member Member

Ive always used Jungle 6 in 1 tests strps but i often question their accuracy. i test my water about once a week or so. (is that too much or too little?) and want to know what the most accurate way to test my water would be. ive heard mixed thoughts on liquid tests but i like the results i get from my ph one. is there a good multi pack to test everything in my water with?

my 55 gal tank currently has one 6" pleco, one 5" catfish, one 2.5" catfish, one 4" Jack Dempsey, one 4.5" oscar and 4 redtailed barbs. temp kept at 76ish ph at 7.0, fluval 304 and under gravel.

also can i use my canister as a gravel vacuum???

2. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

If you check out the search bar at the top left hand corner here , you can see allot of failed with the strips...that search box is for fishlore not the web.....you are very correct that they give false readings and cannot be relied upon....api makes a great master liquid kit that has everything you need..as well will do 100s of tests...heres a link for one with a good price   just scroll down to the api master kit

you are overstocked and are going to have issues as those fish grow up :( the tank is big enough for the oscar alone with maybe 1-3 bottom fish (catfish like pictus not plecos) your barbs can get over a foot also...for the fish you have, you need a good 150g tank ...sorry for the not so good news...

3. kcarmartinez

kcarmartinez Valued Member Member

The test kit I use and is often recommended on Fishlore is the API Master Test Kit. It is more expensive to put out originally but a better value as it will last a lot longer than the strips, comes with everything you need and will be much more accurate than the strips. Just make sure you shake the NitrAte bottle #2 really well for accurate results.
    Stocking wise it looks like too many big fish, but I will have to wait for others to help you on that one.
    I can't help on the canister thing, but I think someone talked about doing something like that... I usually just use the syphon for cleaning the gravel.

4. OP
    OP
    j

jacquiinaz New Member Member

oh i know i will need a bigger tank... this is the starter tank for them. thanks for the link on the api test kit

5. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

That's a good price, but found it even cheaper... :) Repackaged for WalMart.

6. Shawnie

I saw that but im skeered to use it without the api logo LOL call me skittish but thats me ;) and seeing how i get all my supplies from kens, id rather pay the extra $3 for my sanity ;)

7. Cichlidude

Cichlidude Valued Member Member

Ouch, $10 shipping though. However it is the official API brand to put your mind at ease.

8. Shawnie

Its always been 7.35 shipping for me(with all the food/shipping supplies/ filters etc).....guess im special!(it goes according to zip code ;) ) and my mind is at ease using the api but thanks! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice