10 Gallon Tank Test results

yzksn

Hi, i have 2 fantail goldfish and just started to use the Imagitarium 5-in-1 water test strips. Don't have much experience yet, so it would be nice to get a feedback to the first results. It reads: pH ~ 8.0, Total Alkalinity (ppm) ~ 0, Total Hardness (ppm)~ 25, Nitrite (ppm) ~ 2, Nitrate (ppm) ~ 5.
Is it acceptable and if not what might be a problem? Thanks!

marmaaa

Well strips arent the most accurate but 2ppm of nitrites are dangerous to fish. From your profile it says you don't know what the nitrogen cycle is which is why I would assume there is 2ppm of nitrites. How big is the tank and are there any other tankmates?

yzksn

The tank is 10g. No other tankmates.
Actually i just started to learn about the cycle, maybe too late...

marmaaa

10g is way too small for goldfish unfortunately. I would reccomend a 40g min for both of them. Is there anyway you can return them or get a bigger tank. You would also need to cycle the tank in order to have no nitrites. Does your test strip show any ammonia?

yzksn

Thanks for reply, marmaaa.
Well, i am not sure the store will take them back, its been more than a month that i have them. Anyway, the store owner knew that i have 10g tank and didn't warn me that it's too small for 2 fantails. Too bad. And right now i have no space for 40g tank.
As to ammonia test, the strip only shows what i wrote above.

marmaaa

yzksn said:
Thanks for reply, marmaaa.
Well, i am not sure the store will take them back, its been more than a month that i have them. Anyway, the store owner knew that i have 10g tank and didn't warn me that it's too small for 2 fantails. Too bad. And right now i have no space for 40g tank.
As to ammonia test, the strip only shows what i wrote above.
No problem. Im surprised they didnt mention anything about the goldfish in a 10g but then again theres a good amount of stores that do that around me too. Do you know anyone that can take them in or perhaps another store that can take them in? If you could rehome them it would be best, and then you could cycle the tank and get fish that would properly fit a 10g tank instead.

yzksn

Yeah... Don't think i know someone around who are willing to adopt them. I'll see what i can do...

marmaaa

yzksn said:
Yeah... Don't think i know someone around who are willing to adopt them. I'll see what i can do...
Best of luck, some stores may be able to take them off your hands, just ask around.

yzksn

I will try. Thanks again.

Arvil

Many of the employees in those stores are no kind of experts (i.e. high school or college jobs), they're their selling retail. Some of them sell Bettas in the typical small globes, which is, IMO, criminal to the poor fish as most of the buyers don't know any better.

Latest threads

Top Bottom