Test Results

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Savwingrove, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Savwingrove

SavwingroveValued MemberMember

so I’ve been checking my 2.5 gallon tank everyday just to make sure results are good for my Betta in there at the moment... will be moving him to 10g soon!

I tested today and got odd results
    pH: 7.4 (ok)
    Am: 0 (good)
    Ni: 0 (good)
    Na: between 0-5ppm

Why is my nitrates so low?

Found it a bit strange... is this a good or bad thing? Good right, but then why do people say 5-20 is good? Does that mean mine is bad?

I’ve tested before and it’s always been around 5-10 so why different now?

2. qchris87

qchris87Well Known MemberMember

Have you done a water change recently? Any live plants?

Anything below 20 ppm is great. You have no signs of ammonia or nitrites so it isn't bad.

3. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

Hi I did a water change on the 15th (2 days ago). Usually do one every third day. I actually get my water from a pet store because my water is t as good in terms of pH. I have one Marino moss ball and one Anubias that my Betta loves... haven’t bought many others because this is just a temp tank! Now that tank is cycled I’ll be doing one once a week I guess?

Yes very happy to have no ammonia and nitrites as I was very worried these last two weeks during the nitrogen cycle as I though I was going to kill my first fish! Definitely think it’s over now as it’s been a couple days saying 0 for am and ni

Really appreciate the help!!

4. Algonquin

AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

A lone Betta has a pretty small bio-load. You will likely find that when you move him to the 10, it will barely read on the test.
    My Betta is in a 5g with a few live plants, and when I use the API liquid test, it registers too low to show a proper Nitrate reading. The Seachem Nitrite/Nitrate test is much more accurate (and much easier to do, no crazy bottle shaking!) and reads as low as 2 ppm. (which is around where my Nitrates register).
    If you've recently done a water change, you've taken out a lot of your Nitrates as well.
    Lucky guy, moving up to a 10 gallon spa villa! :)

5. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

Great thank you! Haha the end made me laugh!! Want to spoil him haha

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice