Test Results

1. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Finally got my API test kit!! (My trip to petsmart will be in a separate post)
    So first I tested plain tap water[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG](i didn't read the instructions on Nitrate so it's probably not accurate)

and then I tested Python's water[​IMG]
    Can someone decipher these for me? Are these safe levels? (the camera made the orange and purple look a little darker)

The new tank will either start cycling tonight or tomorrow depending on how quickly I can get answers to questions (I'll make a separate thread for that)

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Ammonia and nitrite need to be at 0,when ammonia is at zero and nitrite come to 0 and nitrates go up your tank will be cycled just don't put fish in i till nitrates are below 20 ppm.

3. PythonTheBetta Member Member

this isn't the water from the 2.5 yet(it's still empty) the second set of results are from the water Python is currently in. Are those unsafe results?

4. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I can't see it well,but ammonia and nitrites are not supposed to be that high.python is in the .7 gallon correct?

5. PythonTheBetta Member Member

currently, yes. But I do daily water changes and clean out any waste... I didn't think the levels would be that high

6. Pikachu13131 Member Member

IIn that small of a tank I would do two water changes a day.can you do one now and do a test on the water again?

7. MinhMai Member Member

You should check the high range pH too. All that says is your pH is greater than or equal to 7.6. Higher pH converts the ammonia to even more toxic form.

8. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Just did a water change using water treated with Prime. I'm honestly amazed at what a difference it made. So from now on, definitely twice a day water changes with Prime until the tank cycles[​IMG]
    (PH has always confused me, still not sure what the numbers really mean)

9. MinhMai Member Member

pH below 7.2 is acidic water, pH above 7.8 is basic water. It's a measure ph how many free acidic H+ ions are in the water. Too acidic or basic is dangerous. But a balanced pH that is a bit low around 7.0 is alright and keeps ammonia in a less toxic form by forcing NH3 into NH4+. High pH leads to more toxic NH3 form. Lower temperatures <79F also help to keep NH4+ from dissociating to toxic form.

10. PythonTheBetta Member Member

i feel like i'm doing everything wrong... the lowest the tank gets it 78 but it's usually in the 80s. and is there a way to correct the PH in such a small tank?

11. MinhMai Member Member

Not much you can safely do about pH in a small tank except to do water changes. I can't be sure about your tank pH, it looks kind of like 8.0. Should check your tap water pH as well. If you have a heater in the tank turn it down and monitor temperature so it stays cozy around 77-78F most of the time.

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

There's nothing wrong with your pH so I wouldn't worry about that. A fluctuating pH is a problem so if you find that it changes frequently or suddenly then we'll have to see about fixing it. Until then, just work on cycling it;)

13. PythonTheBetta Member Member

speaking of cycling, when I fill the tank should I treat it with Prime and then add Stability or just use Stability

14. MinhMai Member Member

You need prime with every water change to detoxify chlorine in your water and anything else that might be added by municipal water. Also helps if for some reason your tap has ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. Stability is bacteria only and will still feed on ammonia and nitrites that were detoxed by prime.

15. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Just tested Python's water, ammonia is in the .25-.50 range, nitrites are still at zero, and PH looks the same. Just filled the 2.5 (forgot to put rocks and everything in ) but I have a few questions: How much Prime and Stability do I use and when do I add the ammonia? (before or after adding Stability?) Also, can I put my hand into the tank to place decorations? How should I clean a silk plant, glass stones, and river rock? And lastly, if anyone uses hamster tubes for their betta, do you prep them in anyway?(cleaning, etc?)

16. Pikachu13131 Member Member

You can put your hands in the tank.if you soak the decorations in bleach water(15% bleach) that should kill anything on it and just use a sponge to wipe it off,just make sure you can smell bleach the decorations and after you can't smell bleach clean it more just to be safe.

17. PythonTheBetta Member Member

Could a water/vinegar solution be used instead of bleach?

18. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Yes, I would do vinegar over bleach. Are these new? If so, I would just rinse them to remove anything from their packaging.

19. Pikachu13131 Member Member

If their new just wash them off with water

20. PythonTheBetta Member Member

they are new, but the silk plant has been sitting out for a while without packaging