test results are in!!! Not many fish left!!!

1. scardiecat Initiate Member

I finally got a test kit..  My PH is   between 7.2 & 7.6
    ammonia is  between over 4.0 but not 6.0
    nitrite is 0
    nitrate is 0
    i forgot to tell you it is a 20 gallon tank!!
    So somebody tell me what to do!!!  PLEASE

2. Jan Member Member

3. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Definately do a water change. I would suggest 50% or a little more if you can. Your ammonia level is past toxic.

4. scardiecat Initiate Member

did a big water change... Fish seem to be feeling better... How often should I test the water.. I was doing a water change everyother day and that wasn't doing any good.. I just talked to m son-in-law and he said I had too many fish to start with... one fish for every two gallons of water. I only have about five or six left so I should do better... I also replaced the charcoal pad in the filter... wish me luck... ???

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Depending on what fish you have in the tank, keep the ammonia level at 1 or less. If they are hardy fish, you could probably go to 2, and if they are more delicate, less than 1 might be better. You should be getting nitrites soon. Hang in there and keep us posted on your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings! ;)

6. Jon Well Known Member Member

you shouldnt replace your filter because that contains your bacteria you need to cycle your tank which hasnt started cycling yet... what type of fish do you have?

if you have zebra danios just change your water and wait for it to cycle and you should be fine

if you have any hardy fish like guppiies, mollies, danios, etc you should be fine but if u have delicate fish then you need to get your amonia down really quick if u want ne fish to live... 1-2 is way too high for most fish i beleive