Test kits

Discussion in 'Test Kits' started by Shine, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

I know that everyone around here swears by the API master test kit, but has anyone tried the 'Nutrafin mini master test kit'?

It doesn't test for as many things as the API master kit does, but the guy I spoke to (at the pet store... I know; dangerous!--lol) said that he used the API kit for years, and switched over to the Nutrafin one. He indicated that it was easier to use, and about 15-20$ cheaper (the API one costs about 60$ pre-tax around here)

Any thoughts from the panel of experts? ;)

2. Prince Powder

Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

I've never used it, but I would assume that if it is a liquid test kit it should be just as good. The API Freshwater Master Test Kit has tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH (low range and high range), so long as the test kit covers those primary parameters I'd say you're good to go!

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning Shine,

I've never used the kit that you've mentioned but as long as it's liquid, I'd say go for and save the $. I used the Tetra Laborette for many years, but it doesn't contain a test for nitrates and I was having to buy that test separate. Now I'm using the API.

Ken

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

correct me if im wrong but it doesn't appear that the minimaster kit has a test for nitrates. it does have a test for carbonate though, the API kit is about 35 dollars at the local petsmart here, equal price of the nutrafin minimaster kit

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

and a hardness test~  

6. OP
    OP
    Shine

It's got the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and a ph 'wide range test' (rather then low and high as seperate tests). So clearly the API master kit covers more ground with what it tests..... newbie question though: what is the kh test for/how important is it? And would you miss it if you didn't have it?

and jeta... the test kit probably is 35 in your local petsmart. In mine its closing in on 60 after taxes. Why the differencial between the two kits here, I have no idea :-\

7. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

were in different countries

8. OP
    OP
    Shine

wonton: What I was commenting on is why should the API and Nutrifin kits be the same price in the states, and one is almost double the price of the other here. That the price is higher on both is expected. The differencial between the two is what makes little sense. (US: 35, 35 CAN: 40, 60)

9. w

wonton55912 Valued Member Member

THAT i dont get

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice