Test kits

Shine

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I know that everyone around here swears by the API master test kit, but has anyone tried the 'Nutrafin minI master test kit'?

It doesn't test for as many things as the API master kit does, but the guy I spoke to (at the pet store... I know; dangerous!--lol) said that he used the API kit for years, and switched over to the Nutrafin one. He indicated that it was easier to use, and about 15-20$ cheaper (the API one costs about 60$ pre-tax around here)

Any thoughts from the panel of experts?

Prince Powder

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've never used it, but I would assume that if it is a liquid test kit it should be just as good. The API Freshwater Master Test Kit has tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH (low range and high range), so long as the test kit covers those primary parameters I'd say you're good to go!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning Shine,

I've never used the kit that you've mentioned but as long as it's liquid, I'd say go for and save the $. I used the Tetra Laborette for many years, but it doesn't contain a test for nitrates and I was having to buy that test separate. Now I'm using the API.

Ken

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't appear that the minimaster kit has a test for nitrates. it does have a test for carbonate though, the API kit is about 35 dollars at the local petsmart here, equal price of the nutrafin minimaster kit

OP
Shine

Shine

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's got the ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and a ph 'wide range test' (rather then low and high as separate tests). So clearly the API master kit covers more ground with what it tests..... newbie question though: what is the kh test for/how important is it? And would you miss it if you didn't have it?

and jeta... the test kit probably is 35 in your local petsmart. In mine its closing in on 60 after taxes. Why the differencial between the two kits here, I have no idea :-\

OP
Shine

Shine

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
wonton: What I was commenting on is why should the API and Nutrifin kits be the same price in the states, and one is almost double the price of the other here. That the price is higher on both is expected. The differencial between the two is what makes little sense. (US: 35, 35 CAN: 40, 60)

New Threads