Test kits

1. Kurty Member Member

hi guys n gals i finally found a place that sells test kits anyone have any info on tetra six in one kits.Sadly it's test test strips but I don't think I've got much choice.Just thought I would check to hear what you all have to say.
    Oh should have read the threads before posting but still would like some oponions thanks all,

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

If you haven't purchased it yet, I would consider purchasing one of the API master kits online. The drops will be much more reliable and may even be less expensive than the strips (repurchasing) in the long run.

3. Kurty Member Member

I was looking for the api test kit but that's all i could find and none of the online stores ship to south africa that i checked out so I guess it's the tetra test kit for me

4. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

there is a nutrafin mini master test kit that is liquid and also a tetra test kit laborett which is also liquid.

I have the tetra strips and the API master test kit. The strips read totally different from the liquid kit and don't have an ammonia test on them but, if that's all you can get your hands on, I'd get them. It would be worth seeing if the other two are available in SA, maybe even search online for liquid aquarium test kits and see if you find any more.x

5. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

Does South Africa have a version of amazon or ebay? Possibly check there.

6. Kurty Member Member

I'll keep my eyes open for those kits but in the meantime I'll get the strips cause something is better than nothing.As for SA version of ebay will be checking it out now,thanks.

7. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Yep I'd say strips are better than nothing, for sure. Some tips that might help are to be careful when taking them out of the tank. Try to hold them as flat as possible (horizontally) and don't shake or wag them. That might help the accuracy. Maybe also run each test a couple times to control, don't just count on the first result. It'll mean you need to use more strips but at least there's a better chance your results are accurate.

Also, learn to pay attention to the tank. I've been reading a forum on goldfish keeping an the professionals there have learned to identify problems in the tank using their senses and not relying so much on test kits. Obviously learn to recognize early signs of stress, water flow, smell, texture of the water and pay attention to the fish behavior. In general, fish will be more vibrant and more active in good water conditions. I think it takes time to really get good at this but it's something everyone could benefit from regardless of what kind of test kit you use :)

And, of course, when in doubt - just do a WC!

Good luck!

8. Kurty Member Member

So I found an online store from south africa the only liquid kits they have are for saltwater tanks could i use it on my tropical tank.I think the only difference is the ph test goes from 7 up otherwise all the other tests are similar the brand name is red sea if anyone here ever heard of it.