Test kit?

Discussion in 'Test Kits' started by Mer-max, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

2. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

Try a different plant perhaps? I used to kill all houseplants, even the ones labeled hard to kill, until I got into orchids and they flourished for me. So I think not all plants work for all people, and even more so not all plants need the same environment to flourish. Perhaps your tank is currently not good for swords. You could address this by trying to adjust your tank environment to work for swords, but another approach would be to try different aquatic plants to see whether other plants will work better in your environment.

My understanding is that there is no single test kit for plant nutrients. The API test kit does test nitrates, which are one plant nutrient. There is a separate test kit for phosphates. I believe you can also buy one for Iron for example. And there may be others.

Good luck!

3. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

I wonder if you have too much light, or using too much fertilizer for the sword if you're burning it.

4. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

My java ferns are looking better . Wisteria is a little better - not much. I don't think 2 t5s in a 55 gal would be too much light considering how tall the tank is

5. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I have two 54W T5HOs on my 55 gallon, and my plants are doing great. :) It's all about a balance between light, ferts, and CO2. I only have the lights on for 5 hours daily, how long are yours on? They're very bright, so too much longer and you'll have algae problems. I also dose dry ferts and have injected CO2. For larger tanks, dry ferts are much more cost-effective than liquid ferts.

As for testing, in addition to the API freshwater master test kit I also have a phosphate and iron test.

6. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I'm not throwing the money in for co2. My lights are probably on 10 hrs. Not a bad alge problem

7. kinezumi89

There's nothing wrong with liquid CO2, I used it for awhile. It's not as effective because the plants have to break it down to access the carbon, but the reason I went with an injection system (which was only about $220 pieced together, rather than buying a kit) was because if you spend $12ish bucks on a bottle, eventually you'll end up spending the amount it would have cost to buy an injection system :p

I dunno what it is about swords, I can't seem to grow them. My tank has everything a plant could desire, but my amazon sword isn't really growing, and some of the leaves are brown on the tips :;dk

8. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

I just started the flourish, so I'm hoping it can make a comeback. Dealt with black beard , diatoms, and low light and am hitting the ferts now. I'm about three days in. I wanna say its better but I won't until I see all is good

9. kinezumi89

Plants can definitely be a pain :p Once things get situated though it's pretty smooth sailing. Hopefully the new ferts help :)

10. OP
    OP
    Mer-max

Yeh. I hope so. At the least I got a few growing good. Want that sword lookin good for a center piece tho. . . Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice