Test Kit Results

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by RootDirectory, May 27, 2019.

1. RootDirectory

RootDirectoryNew MemberMember

running water from well (no chlorine). Tested my tap water today and these are the results: upload_2019-5-27_17-25-32.jpeg
    I read this as
    pH: 7.0
    ammonia: .25ppm
    nitrite: 0ppm
    nitrate: 5.0 ppm

Is it normal to have ammonia & nitrates right out of tap? Thanks

2. JamesMcguppy

JamesMcguppyValued MemberMember

"Normal" not really but in some places yes. It all depends on where you live. That's why alot of people will say you should always check your source water before using it.

3. OP
    OP
    RootDirectory

Will it be okay to use this water in my tank, or do I have to get RO or RO/DI filter?

4. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Id use it.

5. JamesMcguppy

JamesMcguppyValued MemberMember

It should be fine to use as long as you keep up on water changes, and already have your tank cycled.

6. Brian Knowles

Brian KnowlesValued MemberMember

Looks like .50 to me. While not instantly toxic to your fish, long term it is definitely not good for your fish. I am not an expert on RO or DI but I see a lot of folks on here that has them. I am fortunate my tap water is very clean. Thanks for your post, it has prompted me to research RO DI and their benefits. Hope all turns out well with minimal costs.

7. david1978

Even at .5 a 50% water change would only bring the tank to .25 which your cycle would quickly eat.

8. Nobote

NoboteValued MemberMember

I read ammonia as. 0.50 as well. I would use that water.

Have your tried letting it sit in a bucket uncovered a couple days then testing it?

9. wintermute

wintermuteValued MemberMember

I'm colour blind so take this with a grain of salt, but I can't differentiate between the 0 and 0.25 swatches and your amonia colour looks more like 0.5 to 1.0 to me so I would say it is almost definitely more that 0.25! You may want to use something that neutralizes ammonia before putting it in your tank. I haven't used it, but apparently prime will do so.

Tony.

10. Basil

BasilWell Known MemberMember

And if you do decide to use it, keep testing it in case it changes.
    My well water would run anywhere from <10 to 40 ppm of nitrates and from 0-0.50 of ammonia. It all depends on what is washing off the fields around me and making it down through the ground to the well. It is also very acidic and hard.
    So I went RO/DI.
    Also, it’s been reported that the API ammonia test can be a bit inaccurate by about 0.25 ppm.

11. OP
    OP
    RootDirectory

This probably sounds dumb, but fish produce ammonia anyways; won't established BB (after cycling) just convert the ammonia from the tap to nitrates the same way as the ammonia from fish waste? Can someone just explain what the negative impact of having ammonia & nitrates in tap water will be?

12. david1978

Yes you bacteria will just use it up. Ideally you don't want to add more ammonia to you tank since it converts to nitrates and we use water changes to reduce them. At your level I dought you would of ever noticed if you hadn't tested for it.

13. OP
    OP
    RootDirectory

Thanks. Would it be a good idea to dose with Prime after water changes?

14. david1978

For a 50% or less water change I personally wouldn't worry. If you plan on doing larger then it wouldn't be a bad idea.