test kit readings

smokeypea

Reaction score
i just bought a Aquarium Pharmaceuticals freshwater Master Kit, and the reading i have are PH 7.2 AMMONIA 0 PPM NITRITE 0.25 NITRATE 5.0 I have a 20gal tank which has been up ansd running since 28th april, i have a penguin 150 bio wheel power filter and one airstone, only just put in the filter cartridge cos i couple of fish had Ick, now its all cleared up, the fish look healthy and are eating good . Is there anything i should do? thankas for great site.

smokeypea

Reaction score
Thanks for reply, should i test water once a week? and how often do i need to water change? and do i have to clean the gravel cos of the old food and waste?, i read somewhere you had to clean gravel at every water change, then i read somewhere else that you dont cos ofn the good bacteria, so now not sure whats right. thanks again for your help

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Keep checking your water everyday until the cycle is complete. After that, you can check it once a week or more if you like.

You should definately vacuum the gravel when you do water changes but only vacuum 1/4 to 1/2 of the gravel at each cleaning. That way you don't mess up enough of the bacteria at one time to affect the balance.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Water changes need to be done weekly. The standard amount to change is 25%, but depending on the tank is may be as little as 10% or as much as 50%. what fish are in there?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom