Test Kit Question

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have the API Master test kit. I bought replacement nitrates bottles about 6-8 weeks ago and they are almost gone, don’t think I have enough to test my 7 tanks one more t one so the question is, before I order;

Is there a better product out there?? Easier to read? More accurate? Last longer? Better test tubes?

I’ll order the API replacements if I don’t hear anything by Sunday.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
IMO, nobody beats API's. I'd stick with what you know; in essence, it's kinda like the brand of beer you like the most and drink more than any of the others: sure there are a ton of different beers out there, but if you enjoy one brand more than alllll of the others...then stick with it. Heh

Mpwallace1

Reaction score
SFGiantsGuy said:
IMO, nobody beats API's. I'd stick with what you know; in essence, it's kinda like the brand of beer you like the most and drink more than any of the others: sure there are a ton of different beers out there, but if you enjoy one brand more than alllll of the others...then stick with it. Heh
I’m thinking his question could be rephrased as ‘Can anybody suggest a nicer beer than this Pabst Blue Ribbon’
As for test kits, Id like to know what else is out there as well, though I do recall reading to stay away from test strips.

camste

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've used the tetra test kit and think the color charts are easier to read. Also the test tubes are rectangular plastic ones that you can lay flat on the color chart. It makes it easier to compare the colors than when you have a round shiny glass vial. And it won't topple over and break so easily I don't know if it's more or less accurate since I haven't run the two tests in parallel. The bottles are a bit smaller though, and once you've opened it they only recommend that you use it for one year, so the API kit will last longer.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My ammonia, PH and nitrites will last longer. I seem to use the nitrate bottle up about every 3-4 months. They take more for each test and I only test for nitrates weekly unless i’m Adding a tank.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Salifert, Salifert, Salifert. I love their nitrate test and cannot stand to use the API one anymore. It's quicker and easier, and I find it to be more accurate. The color chart is shades of pink, so I'll say that some people may have trouble. My husband, for example, is slightly colorblind, but he's no good with the API nitrate test either.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
stella1979 said:
Salifert, Salifert, Salifert. I love their nitrate test and cannot stand to use the API one anymore. It's quicker and easier, and I find it to be more accurate. The color chart is shades of pink, so I'll say that some people may have trouble. My husband, for example, is slightly colorblind, but he's no good with the API nitrate test either.
Thanks.

I want to try another product. I may come back to API but just wanted to try something new.

Tsin21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I highly recommend Sera's nitrate test. It doesn't have the same problem with API about shaking/banging the bottle vigorously and I find it easier to read the results.

SFGiantsGuy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah API's are pretty much rough estimates is all; who knows how solid and concrete they actually can be...they ARE pretty good though for the sheer quantity of tests though...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom