Test Kit Ammonia Reading

mraysberg
Bought a test kit but can’t seem to figure out which one the ammonia lands on. Ran it twice any help would be nice

c9c97bd7462cc38fb282c56499f10a88.jpg
da6907413e9463401d5a9bc446149ad9.jpg

Ddogg2287
I would say that's much closer to a 2...which in any case is super high

mraysberg
Oh man I did a water change on Tuesday. What to do now?

Ddogg2287
Is the tank new? Usually readings like this have come from tanks either overstocked or new and upcycled

mraysberg
1 month old tank also possibly overstocked. New to this

Fuzzyfishkeeper
you can buy a filter that is made to be filter tanks that are larger then yours that will help the ammonia lower and water changes and also live plants

mraysberg
Fuzzyfishkeeper
any live plants and what fish do you have

mraysberg
3 sevs, 1 geo, and eb acara. No live plant but I think it’s all due to overstocking but I do want to get a new tank 90plus

Hunter1
You need to do a 50% water change every day (not on Tuesday).

Today would get you to 1ppm, still deadly to fish.

Tomorrow’s would get you to .5, manageable.

Stop feeding. Just give a little bit, 1X a day.

Buy Prime. Use it as your water conditioner.

Prime will neutralize ammonia/nitrites combined if they are 1ppm or less, and only for 24 hours.

Wrap your head around the idea that water changes are the only way to save your fish.

If you didn’t add a beneficial bacteria to start, I recommend TetraSafeStart. But don’t add TetraSafeStart for at least 24 hours after you use Prime. The ammonia it binds is also the food for the TetraSafeStart .

And if you gave us the tank size and stocking we could help more.

Vince00
Don't worry about what shade of green your at, follow hunters advise and lower that ammonia until your wondering what shade of yellow or you will be scooping fish out. Be sure to test each step of the way, neutralize your chlorine with prime and keep the temperature correct as well.

Good luck and hope you see positive results on those ammonia levels.

mraysberg
You need to do a 50% water change every day (not on Tuesday).

Today would get you to 1ppm, still deadly to fish.

Tomorrow’s would get you to .5, manageable.

Stop feeding. Just give a little bit, 1X a day.

Buy Prime. Use it as your water conditioner.

Prime will neutralize ammonia/nitrites combined if they are 1ppm or less, and only for 24 hours.

Wrap your head around the idea that water changes are the only way to save your fish.

If you didn’t add a beneficial bacteria to start, I recommend TetraSafeStart. But don’t add TetraSafeStart for at least 24 hours after you use Prime. The ammonia it binds is also the food for the TetraSafeStart .

And if you gave us the tank size and stocking we could help more.

The guy at the store told me to get pristine and I put that in today. I have a 45 gal. 3 severum, 1 geophagus, 1 electors blue acara

Vince00
The guy at the store told me to get pristine and I put that in today. I have a 45 gal. 3 severum, 1 geophagus, 1 electors blue acara

Looks like the correct product although I haven't used it before. I would do the water change, then add the pristine as recommended but I would do the water change first to lower the ammonia right out the gate and have less of an issue to resolve. just my .02 cents

mraysberg
Thanks for the help I’ll try that and get it going today. I’ll keep you guys posted if it becomes better

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AvalancheDave
Replies
Views
jtwizz
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies