Terrors or acaras

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by MatthewM, Jul 30, 2015.

1. MatthewM

MatthewM Valued Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438286552.547967.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438286615.341971.jpg
    Are these green terrors or blue acaras? I can get better photos if needed

2. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Those are Green Terrors, Andinoacara rivulatus. Note the orange band on the edge of the tail. Possible male left, female right.

3. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

Terror

4. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Here we go again. ;) Clearly an Acara!!

Just kidding. 100% GT on this one.

5. Plecomaker

I think its the face thats the same. To me the dorsal and face are identical.

6. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Oi, stop it. I only scrolled up the top bit at first, lol. :)

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed, GT.... this question I have noticed has come up lately quite a bit.....

8. Plecomaker

Ive been doing some more reading onthe subject. Besides the obvious similarities of faces and fins there seems to be another issue.
    From what ive read the blue acara may not be one fish, but a group of similar species that go by that name. Or here may be natural hybrids in nature. We like to blame humans for hybrids, but the coywolves in my backyard would disagree.
    It reminds me of confusion people have had with eartheaters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice