Terror of the Tank

1. AshleyBetta

AshleyBetta Well Known Member Member

Hello everyone! :)

First I would like to say I am not really a "beginner" in fish keeping, but I didn't really know where else to place this thread. I apologize to staff if this thread needs to be moved elsewhere.

Now, to the topic of discussion. It turns out not all is going well in my 55 gallon community tank. Recently I added a gold gourami to my mix of a male betta, ember tetras, cardinal tetras, and a 6 inch common pleco. All was going well, or so I thought, until this morning, when I noticed two cardinals missing. I scoured the tank for a solid fifteen minutes, still unable to find the missing fish. I figured they were just hiding well. Well I went back to the tank a few minutes ago and found a cardinal floating dead on the top of the water, torn up and definitely looking like somebody took a bite at it.

Of course I now know the culprit must be the gourami, who is the only fish large enough to take a bite out of a tetra, and she had been showing a mild interest in them lately as well. As much as I love the pretty girl, she has also been scaring my poor little betta into hiding. I'm thinking that it's time to move her.

Now the question is, what do I do? The only other tank I have available is a 20 gallon high, which is too small for her. Do most fish stores except returns? I hate to give her back up to the store, but I don't know of anyone who would be willing to take her.

2. M

Maxi1 Valued Member Member

Sorry you are having this problem. See if the store you got the gourami from will take it back.

3. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Gourami aren't a good mix with Betta and as you have found out can sometimes take a good bit of interest in your schooling fish. I would recommend returning or rehoming her unless you're willing to get a tank for her.

4. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

A common pleco is a big no no for a 55gal. They are going to quickly out grow and out poop your tank and filtration.

5. S

Shadowfox118 Valued Member Member

You're better of keeping the Betta on his own in a 5 or 10 gal tank with some snails and or shrimp. He may be the reason the Cardinals died and the gourami may have just scavenged them

6. OP
    OP
    AshleyBetta

AshleyBetta Well Known Member Member

I know. I only have him in there as of now because of his size. I plan to upgrade him to a 150 gallon in the future when he is larger.

While with most bettas I would agree with you, this guy definitely wasn't the culprit. He takes zero interest in the tetras at all, where as I have witnessed the gourami stalking them around.

7. happygolucky

happygolucky Well Known Member Member

I doubt a male betta could ever catch a cardinal tetra in a 55g.

Gouramis can be bullies, and I would just return him. He will also probably attack the betta at some point, as they are both aggressive anabantoids. Where did you buy the fish? Big box stores don't normally take fish (it's against their policy, but SOMETIMES you may get a nice employee), but some LFS take fish (though they may not give you money back).

8. P

Peacefantasy Well Known Member Member

9. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I second that!