territorial tetra?

1. skateradrienne Initiate Member

i have a 20 gallon tank, which is well planted and my fish are thriving. so i just added my school of 6 tetras to it and theyve been amazing. today when i fed them, i noticed that one of the largest tetras started to become territorial and wouldnt allow the other tetras in his half of the tank. all the tetras tried to come to his side, but he chased every one of them away but he didnt mess with the corys. so then while the tetra was being territorial, i see another tetra which was about the territorial ones size in a corner by one of my large plants. the territorial tetra didnt mind but if the tetra came out of the corner, the territorial tetra would chase it back. im thinking that theyre about to breed of course, but the whole school is broken now and the outcasted tetras are swimming on the bottom, which they never do. so im debating whether or not to add more tetras. i know my filter could handle it, but i dont want to add stress to the possibly breeding pair of tetras. any advice? i have no idea how to go about these tetras because im a cichlid person. thanks in advance!

2. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore skateradrienne!
    :;wv

Tetras are a bit nippy when kept in small schools... i would add a few more (3 maybe)... i dont have much experience with tetras though :;dk

3. skateradrienne Initiate Member

yes, i have noticed that they can be nippy, ive had these guys for a long time and ive never seen behavior as ive described. that's why i thought they could be breeding because ive practically replicated a south american rio paraguay system

4. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Well from what I know, tetras do not form breeding pairs and the males just breed with which ever female has eggs.
    What type of tetra do you have?

5. skateradrienne Initiate Member

sorry for not telling you the species. it's a black skirt tetra. and i know that tetras usually dont breed, which is why it's stumping me

6. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Hmm black skirts, they might get a bit nippy with each other if establishing a pecking order but they shouldnt become as much of a bully as yours sounds to be

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think you just need a few more.

8. skateradrienne Initiate Member

all right, il be adding 2 more to my tank this weekend. thank you!

9. platy ben Well Known Member Member

Adding more could be the answer but I would consider the fact that the new ones could just end up like the others, bullied and unhappy, please bare this in mind.

10. skateradrienne Initiate Member

true, but im adding more because if they are to be bullied, the 6 tetras could just make up a school when they are being bullied. but im not seeing it happen as often

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The new ones could end up bullied, yes, but each individual fish will be bullied less and less with each additional fish.

If you can, I would pick up a couple full grown adults.

12. skateradrienne Initiate Member

yeah, that's what im going to do. all of my tetras are fully grown, so if i add less mature tetras im sure they'll be picked on or nipped. also, the smartest fish guy i know said that what the two tetras were doing was a spawning action, and im pretty sure i saw eggs on a plant leaf, yayy!